Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best extensions for factory ammo? Taylor Freelance extensions jamming upon loading.

Currently using a set of Taylor Freelance +10 extensions, which jam HARD if loaded past 38-39 rounds using factory ammo. This is due to TF marketing their extensions are reliable only with 1.125 OAL or shorter.

Any recommendations for another suitable extension that works 100% with factory ammo in the 1.15 OAL range? I have used TTI before, but would prefer to buy from a different company if at all possible.

I went the MBX route in my Leadstar Prime PCC.  Didn't work.  The extension was so heavy when filled to capacity the mag shook loose when the first round was fired.  That caused a jam.  If I manually held the mag up for the first ten rounds or so, the rest would feed without a jam.  I switched to ETS 40 round mags and have had zero issues.  I have three and use them for mega falling steel matches with 50-60 targets per stage.  I drop them partially loaded with no issues.

I have no idea why some trash ETS mags.  Both the 40 round and the 17 round mags I use run 100%.  I cannot say that about the Glock Factory mags I originally bought.   They do not require short OALs.  I have fit 1.150" in them, but currently use 1.135" OAL so I can use the same ammo in an XD.

Edited by zzt
1 hour ago, Dirty_J said:

If your MBX mag is falling out of the gun… there’s some problem with that lower.

Not MBX mags.  Glock 33 round mags with MBX 47 round extensions.  BTW, not falling out.  Just jiggling enough to partially disengage the mag catch.  ETS mags fit more securely than either Glock or the mag the gun came with.

So far no problem with UV and ETS.    If it ever becomes a problem they are cheap enough to replace often.  Must say I haven't seen that as an issue in the two years I've been using them.

Edited by zzt
On 9/16/2021 at 4:11 PM, BiggMike said:

Are you using JHP or round nose? I'm running 1.130 with no problems. I had to file the inside of mine down a little. I also files the lower inside of the mag and hit the follower. I came from open, so playing with mags is nothing new to me.

Shooting factory 115gr FMJ from various manufacturers (S&B, Fiocchi, Magtech, Blazer, etc). I found that a temporary solution to do download to 38 rounds instead of the 41rd max. Do you have any images on what portions you modified in your extensions?

If TF isn't working for you and you don't want to support Taran's continued search for the "Precious" then MBX is the next best thing.

Though, MBX is the only extension I've seen fail (explode rounds) on a stage. Small sample size and have no idea what those two competitors did to their mags.