Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 grn 9 mm Blue bullits in Legion

ahfox32

I was recently told to not use coated Blue bullits in my Legion. Fella said that they would cause lead buildup in the rifling. Anyone else agree with this? Thoughts?

The 147s are really accurate in my Legion and had great chrono results.   

Its possible for sure.  Depends a lot on powder selection.  I shoot coated through my X5 with no issue predominantly shooting Gallant coated bullets with Sport Pistol. I do run some normal JHP, or FMJ through the same barrel for competition and have not noted any build up.  

I do get build up on my comp when shooting coated bullets out of my JP PCC.  The build up is a bit fast through the PCC.

On 9/10/2021 at 4:14 PM, ahfox32 said:

I was recently told to not use coated Blue bullits in my Legion. Fella said that they would cause lead buildup in the rifling. Anyone else agree with this? Thoughts?

The 147s are really accurate in my Legion and had great chrono results.   

He may have been speaking from general knowledge because Blue Bullets are coated lead.  That can happen due to coating, combination of the coating and powder, etc.  I've shot many brands of coated bullets and many of them I will never touch again because of how bad they leaded up my barrels despite following good reloading practices.  That said, I've never had a leading issue with Blue Bullets with any of the powders I've used, ever.  

One key thing to keep in mind with all coated bullets when reloading is that you don't want to over-crimp and you want to bell enough that the coating does not get disturbed when seating.