Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to safely dispose of wet tumbling liquid

fireman1776

You can run it through a coffee filter and keep reusing the liquid then take it to most household chemical recycling centers (usually near the waste collection). I make peroxyacetic acid to dissolve the lead out of suppressors and take the liquid there labelled “lead contaminated acid” and then take it by the gallons and have never questioned it. Been doing it for years and that is lead acetate which can absorb through the skin. The stuff coming out of brass is much less hazardous. Another option would be just to evaporate off the liquid. There really isn’t a laymen’s way of making it ground safe. 
Lee

3 hours ago, fireman1776 said:

Does anyone have a process that makes the leftover lead filled liquid that remains after tumbling safe to dispose of either down the drain or in the ground? 

I pour it down the drain

On 9/10/2021 at 12:34 PM, Nolan said:

EPA.png

I’m asking so I kindly adhere to their regulations. I know I can pour it down the drain or in my yard but that it’s not allowed or good for the environment so hoping someone else has a solution. 

On 9/17/2021 at 6:15 PM, fireman1776 said:

I’m asking so I kindly adhere to their regulations. I know I can pour it down the drain or in my yard but that it’s not allowed or good for the environment so hoping someone else has a solution. 

Who says it's not allowed?  And what makes you think that tiny amount of lead is going to have any impact on the environment?

27 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Who says it's not allowed?  And what makes you think that tiny amount of lead is going to have any impact on the environment?

It is maybe not the lead that might give issues, but there is always some copper (from the brass) in these waste solutions, and copper is a known anti-microbial, and minute amounts may interfere with the biology of waste water plants.

8 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Ok.  But that's what the plants are for.  And they can handle probably millions of times the trace amount of copper contained in that tiny bit of water.  It's going to have zero impact.  

Probably more copper and lead coming from the plumbing in most homes than what your going to add to the system. 

I dump mine down the drain, where is diluted by the millions of gallons of sewage on its way to the treatment plant

if you want to be sure it doesn’t get to the ground water you could pour it into kitty litter and let it dry out then toss it in the trash

lead-filled liquid?  the amount of lead that might be in the liquid is so small, it's not going to impact the environment in any way.  if you are worried about lead getting into the ground, you might want to think about all the lead you are shooting and leaving behind in the ground at the range.  
and the amount of copper that might be in the solution isn't going to kill all the bacteria that is being used to purify the water at the water treatment plant either...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The local waste water treatment plant has processes in place to extract the lead and remove it from gray water. I think down the drain is better than in the dirt. Let the professionals do their stuff.