Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Son wants to shoot steel matches....not sure which is/are the preferred red dot sights.

wanttolearn

My Son loves the p226 and he wants to start competing in steel shoots. he's quite serious and very safe. i'd prefer to cry once rather than purchase something he'll rapidly outgrow but i wouldn't mind not throwing money at bling.

We would sure appreciate any guidance.

My Son showed me photos of a Holosun 509 series as well as the large red dot that was on Max Michel's pistol but honestly i know so little about all of this and we're open to any and all brands and models.

thank you.

The Max Michel sight is top of the line and is excellent. Comparable to that is the Trijicon SRO.  A little less expensive is the Leupold DPP, but nevertheless an excellent choice. I’d suggest a 5 or 6 MOA dot for Steel  Challenge. BTW I have 3 SROs and one Leupold. Hope this helps. 

5 hours ago, NoSteel said:

If your looking for something a little less $$ with great quality take a look at FTP.  Same mount config as the CMORE/SIG models.  Nice dot with nice quality glass,  large window.

FTP is awesome.  It's the optic I use on my backup gun

• 2 weeks later...

After a long wait, we will finally have the FTP Optics Alpha 3 Red Dot sights back in stock approximatley September 29-30th. You can pre-order on our web site and we will ship orders in the sequence they arrive.

https://fasttoys.net/shop/FTP-Optics-Alpha-3-Red-Dot-Reflex-Sight/

I have used Burris FIIIs 8 MOA, C-More RTS4s 6 MOA and Railway 12 MOA, Leupold DPPs 2.5 MOA and Trijicon SROs 5 MOA on my steel challenge guns.  My fav is the SRO.  I also run them on my USPSA Open guns.  Second choice is the DPP.

Before you buy anything see what will work on your P226.  Not everything will.  Consider having him shoot a couple matches with iron sights to see if he likes it.

FWIW for game guns I have become a fan of round glass such as an sro and the old Cmore.   For round steel, there is something my eye likes about how the round glass frames the target with the dot in the center.   It works on rectangular targets also though not as well.  I really like the cmore I have on my steel ruger and I just put an sro on my carry optics gun.   

• 2 months later...