Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range pick-up brass to Major PF loads??

Pickin

Hello All,

I just acquired a bunch of 40 brass (all range pick-up, local LEO range).  After reading around and talking to a few people at my local range who also reload, I am not able to just load to Major PF?!  I have to do a Minor PF load first.

Here is what I was told/read:

clean, resize, and load a Minor PF load, then shoot in your gun to have fire form to my barrel.

Is this correct? I will rollsize my brass, does that fix this issue where I can load right to a Major PF load?  Trying to save primers right now.

I will be loading 180gr RN Blue Bullet, over a CCI small pistol primer, and N320 to ~1.180.  Not sure on the charge weight yet as I have not tried anything yet.

That’s like I told a new shooter one time to shoot the bottom plate on a Texas star first it’s the way we all do it. 
Lesson learned.😃

just so you know from past post, clean load and shoot .

That’s funny. Not sure why anyone would give you that info. Although, I do remember years ago folks getting all warped about Getting rid of the Glock bulge in their cases. At the time I was shooting a ton of Glock bulged brass in my SVI limited gun, so I got an undersized die and never had any problems. Not sure I really even needed it, but that’s what “everyone” said to do at the time. 

As others have said, clean, load, shoot, repeat. 

4 hours ago, Pickin said:

Hello All,

After reading around and talking to a few people at my local range who also reload, I am not able to just load to Major PF?!  I have to do a Minor PF load first.

Never listen to anything those people tell you, ever again. 

When developing your load it is best to start a little low on your load ( Not minor ) and work up to your PF needs.  I usually run 10rnd increments thru the chrono at various powder drops once I have set my OAL. Ex: 10 @ 4.5gr, 10 @ 4.6gr, etc.  There is a ton of data in the reload section that will get you close using what you have posted for Bullet, powder, OAL..  Where are you in N.H.?  If you want to travel there is a match in VT. This weekend,  good weather match time is getting short :)

6 hours ago, NoSteel said:

When developing your load it is best to start a little low on your load ( Not minor ) and work up to your PF needs.  I usually run 10rnd increments thru the chrono at various powder drops once I have set my OAL. Ex: 10 @ 4.5gr, 10 @ 4.6gr, etc.  There is a ton of data in the reload section that will get you close using what you have posted for Bullet, powder, OAL..  Where are you in N.H.?  If you want to travel there is a match in VT. This weekend,  good weather match time is getting short :)

I live in Concord. I do travel to VT sometimes for a match or two.  I would love to come, on TDY orders in CA right now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 7/21/2022 at 6:43 PM, Dr_Z said:

All you need is a good cleaning. Get rid of cracked brass, and then you are free to load to major PF. Rollsizing is good, but not necessary. 

I have picked up a  DC rollsizer. One of the best investments I've made. I've used it now maybe 3000 total rounds over the three calibers. I have lowered my SDs. I have it for 9, 40, and 223. 

I'm not a Bullseye shooter but my groups have tighten up a lot.