Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45acp swc

MHicks

I have loaded thousands of the Bayou Bullets 45acp 200gr swc bullets with no issues. These are the standard coated bullets that still have a lube groove. I opened a new case and they are the same except it's the style bullet without a lube groove.

Some of these bulge the case out when seating and crimping, seperate dies. The bulge is not at the crimp it's at the bottom of the bullet. About 25% didnt fit my hundo guage.  The bevel on the bottom of the bullets doesn't look as good as the others that work. 

I haven't measured a bunch and they seem to be between .452-.453. Maybe some are a little on the big size. Anyone run into a problem like this?

Thanks. Actually after I posted my problem I got online and ordered the sizer kit. I've used one before when I  cast my 44 cal black powder bullets.

I measured a few different brands of bullets I have and was surprised by some of the results. Slightly out of round varying about .003. Ordered a few recoil spring too. We'll see if this helps.

I’ve been having a similar problem with Bayou 45 225 TC.   They have not been grouping well and often won’t gauge correctly.  Today I measured 20.  14 measured .453,  6 measured .454.  I plan to run some thru a .452 sizer and then check to see if groups improve.  I plan to try a different vender to see if I can get a coated bullet that I won’t need to size.

7 hours ago, faith said:

I’ve been having a similar problem with Bayou 45 225 TC.   They have not been grouping well and often won’t gauge correctly.  Today I measured 20.  14 measured .453,  6 measured .454.  I plan to run some thru a .452 sizer and then check to see if groups improve.  I plan to try a different vender to see if I can get a coated bullet that I won’t need to size.

I have shot thousands of the  bayou lube groove 45s for years. Never resized them. Just had a problem with these without the lube groove. I have another case of the lube groove bullets and loaded some of the same bullets (lube groove swc .452) from BBI tonight. Again worked great.  I'll try running them through the sizer but could also use them as is in a 45 Colt single action.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guaranteed it will be smoother. After they are sized with the one-shot put them on a towel and spray with some alcohol and roll them around to wipe dry. This gets them ready for seating with no lube on them.

Edited by tires2burn
spelling