Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LYMANN PRO DIES

Badluck2

I purchased the Lyman Pro Micrometer Seating die. It did not work well with my Zero JHP 40 S&W bullets. Went back to my Redding Micrometer Seating die. However, the Lyman die adjustment and markings were superior and the die seemed to bolt extreme well. I could have probably modified the seating stem to work with the Zero bullets, however just lazy. I still might fiddle with it in the future. I would not hesitate recommending the Lyman dies.

I wish I didn’t buy the set.  Micrometers are overkill and problematic.  I had all kind of issues setting them up.  Mainly the crimp die.  I eventually dumped it and used a Lee 9mm taper crimp die I bought for a 38 short colt project that never happened.

I bought the 38 super comp Lyman pro kit.  For use in my Evo pro.

My Lyman Micrometer seating die produced inconsistent OAL, put a ring on the bullet. I suspect the cause was the seating stem just did not fit the bullet profile. I could have probably modified it by using some epoxy to form the seating stem to the bullet profile, but the Redding works well producing consistent OAL. The Lyman may work better on a different profile than the Redding, so I put it on the bench for now.

• 1 month later...

100% love mine. I bought the set from DAA when I got my press as nobody had a 9mm RL1100. Haven't had any issues with them at all. The size die is great and actually full length. Seating die is great, I can go from BBI to SNS or DG bullets 135gn rn and know exaclty where I need to have the seating die set to get the same OAL. I love them. My OAL goal is 1.129". My spread is 1.127-1.130. I did swap out the Undersized die for a Lee U die before getting my roll sizer but honestly could swap it back. The Lyman die actually sizer further down the case then the U die. 

On 9/8/2021 at 12:43 AM, cbrussell said:

My Lyman Micrometer seating die produced inconsistent OAL, put a ring on the bullet. I suspect the cause was the seating stem just did not fit the bullet profile. I could have probably modified it by using some epoxy to form the seating stem to the bullet profile, but the Redding works well producing consistent OAL. The Lyman may work better on a different profile than the Redding, so I put it on the bench for now.

Did you let Lyman know about the issue ? I would . If you don't give these companies feedback they will just keep making the same problem. Or...they my just send you a new parts to fix the issue. 

But thanks for the headsup!

I chalked the inconsistent seating depth up the the fact the stem did not match the bullet profile so was hitting the bullet in various spots. Therefore I did not contact the company because as did not feel it was a quality problem, but, your point is well taken. I think I will email them to see what their suggestions are and whether they may have/or,will make a different seating stem profile. I really do like the quality of the die manufacture.