Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weight vs. Control

Stafford

I like to compare my heavier pistols, Shadow 2 and SP01 to my lighter pistols, Glocks, while at the range. The weight of the CZ's make them fun to shoot, but I wonder if the weight also makes them harder to control while squeezing the trigger. I guess I notice it the most while shooting my S2 one handed and trying to control the dot from jumping all over the place. I guess I wonder if a lighter pistol would be easier to control in certain situations. And whether some shooters could benefit from shooting a lighter weight pistol as opposed to playing the heavy weight game for competition.

For the record, I shoot my Shadow 2 better than my Glock 17. But, I wonder if I spent as much time shooting the G17 and dry firing it as I have with my S2, would it make much difference.

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire!!

Just pick a platform and stick with it. With time one can be great with any platform.

Most important thing is to pick a platform that fits your hands the best. 

I've gone from a Walther Q5 polymer to a shadow 2 then the shadow 2 to my 64oz open gun. Now when I pick up the shadow 2 it feels like a polymer gun and a polymer gun just feels silly. 

5 hours ago, Stafford said:

I like to compare my heavier pistols, Shadow 2 and SP01 to my lighter pistols, Glocks, while at the range. The weight of the CZ's make them fun to shoot, but I wonder if the weight also makes them harder to control while squeezing the trigger. I guess I notice it the most while shooting my S2 one handed and trying to control the dot from jumping all over the place. I guess I wonder if a lighter pistol would be easier to control in certain situations. And whether some shooters could benefit from shooting a lighter weight pistol as opposed to playing the heavy weight game for competition.

For the record, I shoot my Shadow 2 better than my Glock 17. But, I wonder if I spent as much time shooting the G17 and dry firing it as I have with my S2, would it make much difference.

While considering a pistol for Carry Optics, it was recommended I watch this video, among others, concerning heavy vs light pistols......

https://youtu.be/BVf9oMSqx1s

HTHs

:)

2 hours ago, zzt said:

Weight within reason is your friend.  Just look at all the Prod and CO pistols that sported brass grip, etc. after the weight limit was raised.  Balance is important also.

To me balance is very important. 

The shadow 1 has great balance in stock form. The shadow 2 feels very nose heavy but once some brass grips are added it's perfect. I also have the czc A01LD and absolutely love that thing.

With time and practice  a heavier gun will not slow one down in transitions, yes it takes more practice time to refine those transitions. 

Ergos are still the most important.

Da/sa guns take time to get used to too.

There are so many good options on the market these days, all depends on budget and ergos for that individual.