Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Metalform mags in my PCC

Been using Metalform mags in my AR9 for the past 6 years(yes, I use a colt adapter..Hahn).  It's been very reliable over the years but in the past 12 months I'm getting a FTF jam at times.  Cartridge is coming out of mag at an angle, of course, but jams with the nose up and case not quite clearing the magazine.  Doesn't happen very often, just enough to screw up a stage or two in a match.  Tried various things....cleaned mags, scraped and cleaned the Hahn feed ramp,  changed the extractor tension..ect....but I'm still getting an occasional jam.  This gun has been flawless up to this point, but now I worry about it.  Using a JP Barrel, Taccom bolt, shorten up the stroke....Is there someone out there who "tunes" these mags like they do with SV mags and other hi-cap mags?  Perhaps changing mag springs?   I've been using a 135 grain RN bullet at 132 power factor since day one.

It wouldn't be so frustrating if the gun always had trouble...but like I said....it ran flawless for years.  Any advice is much appreciated!!  Thanks

You're describing the exact scenario I ran into when I used the Colt mag platform.  It ran great for years and then started to have random FTF problems.  It's why I ultimately switched to a Glock mag PCC.  

I called Metalform in Rhode Island and got a bunch of replacement mag springs when I ran the Colt 32 round mags.  Here's the contact info: https://metalform.us/contact/

• 1 month later...

Should have replied back to this topic a month ago...sorry for those who were wondering what I found.  Bottom line was that the Hahn mag block needed some attention.  I swapped out the one I was using for a different Hahn mag block and everything went right back to working again.  I've shot four matches with it now and no FTF at all.  I also tried out a Macon Armory mag block(also the same one that KAW sells, it's made by the same shop) and it works great also, except for a little tight on some of the metalform mags.  Talked with the guys at Hahn and they have had some mag blocks that had been worn out(a complete surprise to me) but at a much higher round count that I had(15,000 rounds).  Mine was not worn out, but needed to be readjusted in the mag well, and I polished up the feed ramp a little with the dremel tool.  Good to go now.