Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup and coated bullets?

Bakerjd

Well I learned two things. First, I'm not the only one who doesnt regularly clean a barrel. And second, I'm not crazy for using TG with coated bullets. 

I have other powders but I just started reloading with my own machine this season and with everything being super hard to get I just continued to use the load a friend had been loading for me. It works really well in both my 1911 9mm and the girlfriends P320 legion.  3.3gn TG, 135gn coated bullet, OAL 1.128. Comes in at a 133PF in the 1911s and 129PF in the Sig. I do a bit of indoor practice because the range is open 24/7 and I work night shift and dont notice a lot more smoke then a good friends 40 major load with sport pistol. I dunno.

• 1 month later...

Did some loading with ramshot competition..... couldn't tell if I was shooting the titegeoup loads or the ramshot loads. Put 10 of each into a mag randomly and shot all 20 in a row. Same POA/POI, recoil, smoke (indoor range), ect... I'm going to try the win 231 next to see if it is any different. Mostly bevause I have some and the seasons over so I'm bored. 

On 9/6/2021 at 11:50 AM, SnipTheDog said:

Titegroup comes in at #15 on that list.  So would Alliant American Select (#16) be OK?

I load american select (leftover 8 pounders from trap days) with blue bullets, zero issues and works great

23 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

I find the heat, humidity and lighting conditions do more for my awareness of smoke with coated bullets than whether I am using Titegroup or Sport Pistol with coated bullets.

For certain.  Also if there is a breeze or not.  Cool mornings in a temperature inversion when the air is really still, the smoke lingers worse.  Even with Sport Pistol, it is noticeable.  

I do note the difference watching shooters using TiteGroup versus Sport Pistol.  More smoke with TiteGroup.

Edited by Boomstick303

7 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

For certain.  Also if there is a breeze or not.  Cool mornings in a temperature inversion when the air is really still, the smoke lingers worse.  Even with Sport Pistol, it is noticeable.  

I do note the difference watching shooters using TiteGroup versus Sport Pistol.  More smoke with TiteGroup.

Yep, and since TG is cheaper and more readily available I just use it and deal with it when the environmental conditions make it crappy.

On 9/6/2021 at 10:46 PM, MikeyScuba said:

I remember something about titegroup being a double base powder which means it reacts with  the plastic on the coated bullets during storage.  Not a big deal if you don’t mind vaporizing a bit of lead with each shot. Might not be a big deal if you don’t shoot indoors.

Really!! You think the nitrogylcerin still exists after the big fire and that it has time in the barrel to react with the coating? Ive shot over 100K SNS bullets through a CZ75 shadow and a Shadow 2. Smokes like a mf but no leading ever. How does this stuff start. 

52 minutes ago, Brooke said:

Really!! You think the nitrogylcerin still exists after the big fire and that it has time in the barrel to react with the coating? Ive shot over 100K SNS bullets through a CZ75 shadow and a Shadow 2. Smokes like a mf but no leading ever. How does this stuff start. 

Its not when fired that the KNOWN issue with Tight group affects coating. If you load enough for use in 30/40 days . Your only going to see increased  smoke . With little to no leading. Now if you load  enough for 12/18 months. Their is a KNOWN issue of TG Attacking, breaking down the coating. This info is available  from the manufacture. (coating) If you reserch this issue you are going to find . That Sport Pistol was developed for Federal to cure this KNOWN issue.

Tight Group is not the only powder that does this. Probably just the most one used.

Edited by AHI

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

Interesting choice of words. Are they talking about when the bullet is made and then stored?

quote from Alliant

Sport Pistol's low-muzzle-flash formulation is also optimized for polymer-coated bullets, whereas comparable powders can dissolve polymer coatings at the bullet base during ignition.

In my test. coated bullet must set it contact   with powder for some time to be a issue. That is why I gave a time in earlier post. If you load and shoot every 30 days . No big issue. If you use winter/off season to load for the year. you may have issues toward the end of the year.

Edited by AHI