Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup and coated bullets?

Bakerjd

I was shooting with sone well known coated bullet manufacturers the other day and they said never use TG with coated bullets as it will burn through the coating and lead the barrel? That's the first I have ever heard that. Thoughts? 

1 hour ago, Bakerjd said:

I was shooting with sone well known coated bullet manufacturers the other day and they said never use TG with coated bullets as it will burn through the coating and lead the barrel? That's the first I have ever heard that. Thoughts? 

Yes, they are correct.  I just clean more often.

5 hours ago, superdude said:

Which bullet manufacturers? 

Good question.  Who?

Reason I'm asking is I've shot TG for years and have put around 100k coated bullets (Blue, Bayou, BBI) through my CZs without barrel leading. 

Or had a front fiber optic sight "melt", for that matter. 

Is this the old TG bashing mythology coming around again?

54 minutes ago, teros135 said:

I wouldn’t mind bringing that myth back to life if it gets a bunch of you to switch to some other powder. While we’re on the subject, did you guys here that CCI small pistol primers will make your gun and the gun next to yours explode if you use them. I swear, it’s true,  so for your own safety, please stop buying TG powder or CCI small pistol primers. 

1 hour ago, teros135 said:

Good question.  Who?

Reason I'm asking is I've shot TG for years and have put around 100k coated bullets (Blue, Bayou, BBI) through my CZs without barrel leading. 

Or had a front fiber optic sight "melt", for that matter. 

I've used TG with SNS, Cimarron, and DG brand bullets.  They all smoke like a mofo.

I've also used it with Everglades plated bullets, zero smoke.

1 hour ago, teros135 said:

Good question.  Who?

1345099_ScreenShot2021-09-06at10_08_54AM.png.06aaa96acb4e2736acdf1e1e45efef0d.png

SNS website. Something that gets lost I think is that many of us are not loading close to maximum charge weight for competition shooting.

Edited by IHAVEGAS

SNS owner, sorry cant recall his name, was the one that told me. 

Interesting. Maybe I'm just super used to the smoke but I dont rind it bad or the gun being extra dirty or anything. 

My personal load 3.3gn TG with a 135gn SNS or DG bullet. 

Edited by Bakerjd

9 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

1345099_ScreenShot2021-09-06at10_08_54AM.png.06aaa96acb4e2736acdf1e1e45efef0d.png

SNS website. Something that gets lost I think is that many of us are not loading close to maximum charge weight for competition shooting.

"Readily available."  That's a good one....

On 9/5/2021 at 10:19 PM, SGT_Schultz said:

It's because the coating is likely burning off and exposing lead on the back end of the bullet.

I remember something about titegroup being a double base powder which means it reacts with  the plastic on the coated bullets during storage.  Not a big deal if you don’t mind vaporizing a bit of lead with each shot. Might not be a big deal if you don’t shoot indoors.

Based on my own experience I haven't seen anymore leading, smoke etc. using Titegroup than other bullet/powder combinations I've tried.

I base that opinion on cleaning the barrel with an Outers Electrochemical bore cleaner then inspecting the barrel with a bore scope after shooting various polymer coated bullet/powder combinations.

Even went low tech and dug spent bullets out of the ground for inspection of the base etc.

I found the USPSA 2020 equipment survey results interesting.  Titegroup took 2nd in the Limited class.

Titegroup was 1st in Production, PCC, Carry Optics, Single Stack and Revolver. Of course Titegroup is not suited for Open, the only other class.

Sport Pistol's web page states some powders "can" burn the polymer base. Sounds like it's possible but not for sure. Some coatings are Hi-Tek and some like Eggleston and Blue are proprietary.

Sport Pistol did make the survey results in a couple classes but at a rate less than half of the respondents that use Titegroup.

It would be interesting if there was method to determine the temp of Titegroup and other powders and see if there is a difference.

Cheers!!!

7 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

I remember something about titegroup being a double base powder which means it reacts with  the plastic on the coated bullets during storage.

I don't doubt you heard it, but it doesn't pass the smell test.  TG isn't the only double base handgun powder, and it doesn't damage the plastic containers it ships in.

12 hours ago, mrpredictable said:

3.0 gr titegroup behind SNS or blue bullets. Haven’t had an issue and don’t clean my barrel much. 

Hi, what bullet weight are you using, and what velocities are you getting over the chrono?

thanks. 

I have definitely noticed more rapid leading with TG and coated bullets, but it has never been an issue for me. If you use a nice brass bristle bore brush and some good solvent every once in a while I see no reason to pay more (or have to switch up load data) for jacketed bullets/ a different powder. 

On 9/6/2021 at 7:46 PM, MikeyScuba said:

I remember something about titegroup being a double base powder which means it reacts with  the plastic on the coated bullets during storage.  Not a big deal if you don’t mind vaporizing a bit of lead with each shot. Might not be a big deal if you don’t shoot indoors.

I remember reading that also that the high nitro content or one of the solvents used would break down some coatings. I think much of that got started with the guys that were coating their own bullets with HF powder paint and other home made concoctions. Some had pulled bullets and said the coatings were softened and had powder melted into the bases. I did actually see some pictures of it.  So then it must do it with all coatings and it’s true cuz it’s on the internet. 

Edited by Farmer

On 9/5/2021 at 9:01 PM, Bakerjd said:

I load .40 major with 4.0 gr of TG behind 180 gr BB RNFP. I have little smoke, or at least not enough to get my attention. Mine made 178 PF at area 8 just recently ( a little high I know) but otherwise it’s a great load.