Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Racheting Gun Belt

Ontarget

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few guys in my club use them.  The advantage seems to be able to crank your belt load down to shoot the stage and then loosen it when you aren’t shooting.   Am to try one from red hill and see if I like it.  

time will tell if it is better.   Hard to see it being twice as good as a traditional belt that costs half as much.  

FWIW some guys here are posting how to DIY mod an existing belt using a $20 snowboard buckle and a few screws.   

I am converting my Safariland ELS belt for the reason mentioned above. It sucks to get the proper tension on the belt and frankly their pins through holes tensioning system sucks. 

If you do not intend to use that specific belt or want a belt system that has a lot of modularity (I think the ELS from Safariland is probably the best modular belt system out there) or do not plan to carry a lot of gear I would stick to a normal shooting belt. The ratchet system does not add any benefit for normal USPSA/IDPA or similar shooting games where you essentially are using one gun and it’s magazines.  

The only USPSA shooters I have seen use that system are guys that play in 3Gun/2Gun too. They use the same belt in both game for consistency.  I do not know of any dedicated USPSA shooters that use that type of belt. Not saying they do not exist, I just have not personally seen any. 

Edited by Boomstick303

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

I am converting my Safariland ELS belt for the reason mentioned above. It sucks to get the proper tension on the belt and frankly their pins through holes tensioning system sucks. 

If you do not intend to use that specific belt or want a belt system that has a lot of modularity (I think the ELS from Safariland is probably the best modular belt system out there) or do not plan to carry a lot of gear I would stick to a normal shooting belt. The ratchet system does not add any benefit for normal USPSA/IDPA or similar shooting games where you essentially are using one gun and it’s magazines.  

The only USPSA shooters I have seen use that system are guys that play in 3Gun/2Gun too. They use the same belt in both game for consistency.  I do not know of any dedicated USPSA shooters that use that type of belt. Not saying they do not exist, I just have not personally seen any. 

The ratcheting belt is beneficial for non-3-gun shooters for the reasons I mentioned above.  It's just an all-around superior arrangement and no downside.  I have multiple rigs for single stack, Limited, PCC and 3-gun and converted all of them to ratchet buckles. 

9 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

ratchet system does not add any benefit for normal USPSA/IDPA or similar shooting games where you essentially are using one gun and it’s magazines.  

I do not know of any dedicated USPSA shooters that use that type of belt. Not saying they do not exist, I just have not personally seen any. 

Completely disagree. It is very useful. I have 3 belts with ratchets and 8 friends that have also converted and couldn't be happier. 

It allows you to tighten it up a lot more than trying to get it tight with just the outer velcro. Also can loosen it while not shooting.  And no worries about it coming loose and losing belt keepers. 

Edited by echotango

I have one of the Carbon Arms belts, nice setup but the inner velcro is glued on a little wobbly and the belt is just a tad oversized top-to-bottom. Depending on what type of pouches you run it may not work at all.

11 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

no downside

Cost. Especially if you run more than one belt. 

Velcro belts have every benefit you listed. It’s no harder to put on a DAA belt, CR speed belt or any other double belt system. It’s not harder to adjust them for USPSA use when using only one gun. They are not uncomfortable.  While I admit I probably should not have said “the ratchet system does not offer any benefit from normal USPSA belts”, I should have said it adds one. You can tighten it more than a normal Velcro system. Even that benefit has limits in the you can only tighten so much because you use you hands to install the Velcro inner belt with no way to “sintch” the inner belt up. So when you ratchet the outer belt too much in bunches the inner belt. For me this is noticeable. 

Normal 2 belt systems are more than sufficient for one gun games. If you think you need a ratchet belt go for it. There is probably a reason 95% of USPSA shooters use the normal DAA or CR Speed (or similar) belts and that would be cost most likely. 

If if you have problems like having no ass or some sort of waist where normal 2 belt systems fall off of you all the time, then definitely look into a ratchet belt. Otherwise to me there is not difference in 1 gun games between the two. Spend that money on something else. 

The beauty of the world we live in is we are entitled to our own opinions. 

8 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

So when you ratchet the outer belt too much in bunches the inner belt. For me this is noticeable

l only shoot USPSA, no 3 gun

I made my ratchet belt with an M2inc. buckle and a CR speed belt.  I modified the velcro to totally eliminate the "bunching" issue. I bought a roll of 1.5" velcro and put it on the area where the velcro would normally stick together.  This allows the smooth ends to smoothly slide over each other when I tighten the ratchet.  It sounds confusing but it is very simple. (pics on request if interested).  

Minimal increase in cost and superior to  the usual velcro-only  2 belt system.  No bunching, never gets loose, more easily adjustable, etc.

Attached are pictures of my rig. I purchased a shorter DAA outer belt so to avoid the belt “overlap” condition. However, I made a few belts for my buddy by shortening his belt and capping the cut end with some shrink tube. Worked great.

The ratchet components came from M2inc. I used some tee nuts to fasten the components to the belt. Very secure.

I find  the ratcheting belt allows me to tighten the outer belt in a more secure manner than just overlapping the Velcro outer belt with belt keeper. Never felt the outer belt was tight. 

22038739-CFED-416A-B333-2B59FE726FEF.jpeg

5283B816-D0C7-4E44-ACF6-525ECF5FE0F4.jpeg

2289BF8B-6B8B-411F-8E2A-A46B65DE818A.jpeg

A81E1117-A2A5-42E6-AF22-5138C3CED0BF.jpeg

On 9/4/2021 at 9:12 PM, Ontarget said:

Anyone else sell them besides Red Hill?

https://www.dbgear.net/collections/db-tactical/products/leather-ratcheting-gun-belt

This is who makes RHT’s belts, they also make em for Atlas. Order direct if you don’t mind waiting a couple weeks and want a different stitching color or logo. 

On 9/5/2021 at 10:27 AM, Desk-Jockey said:

A few guys in my club use them.  The advantage seems to be able to crank your belt load down to shoot the stage and then loosen it when you aren’t shooting.   Am to try one from red hill and see if I like it.  

time will tell if it is better.   Hard to see it being twice as good as a traditional belt that costs half as much.  

FWIW some guys here are posting how to DIY mod an existing belt using a $20 snowboard buckle and a few screws.   

Any idea where the DIY mods are located?

23 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Cost. Especially if you run more than one belt. 

Velcro belts have every benefit you listed. It’s no harder to put on a DAA belt, CR speed belt or any other double belt system. It’s not harder to adjust them for USPSA use when using only one gun. They are not uncomfortable.  While I admit I probably should not have said “the ratchet system does not offer any benefit from normal USPSA belts”, I should have said it adds one. You can tighten it more than a normal Velcro system. Even that benefit has limits in the you can only tighten so much because you use you hands to install the Velcro inner belt with no way to “sintch” the inner belt up. So when you ratchet the outer belt too much in bunches the inner belt. For me this is noticeable. 

Normal 2 belt systems are more than sufficient for one gun games. If you think you need a ratchet belt go for it. There is probably a reason 95% of USPSA shooters use the normal DAA or CR Speed (or similar) belts and that would be cost most likely. 

If if you have problems like having no ass or some sort of waist where normal 2 belt systems fall off of you all the time, then definitely look into a ratchet belt. Otherwise to me there is not difference in 1 gun games between the two. Spend that money on something else. 

The beauty of the world we live in is we are entitled to our own opinions. 

I agree. I can tighten my normal DAA rig to the point it hurts if I want to.

6 hours ago, cbrussell said:

Attached are pictures of my rig. I purchased a shorter DAA outer belt so to avoid the belt “overlap” condition. However, I made a few belts for my buddy by shortening his belt and capping the cut end with some shrink tube. Worked great.

The ratchet components came from M2inc. I used some tee nuts to fasten the components to the belt. Very secure.

I find  the ratcheting belt allows me to tighten the outer belt in a more secure manner than just overlapping the Velcro outer belt with belt keeper. Never felt the outer belt was tight. 

22038739-CFED-416A-B333-2B59FE726FEF.jpeg

5283B816-D0C7-4E44-ACF6-525ECF5FE0F4.jpeg

2289BF8B-6B8B-411F-8E2A-A46B65DE818A.jpeg

A81E1117-A2A5-42E6-AF22-5138C3CED0BF.jpeg

Dang, I like how clean that looks vs just flapping around like mine does now. Still works fine and I won't replace what I have but I'll buy this instead for any future purchases.

15 hours ago, Balakay said:

l only shoot USPSA, no 3 gun

I made my ratchet belt with an M2inc. buckle and a CR speed belt.  I modified the velcro to totally eliminate the "bunching" issue. I bought a roll of 1.5" velcro and put it on the area where the velcro would normally stick together.  This allows the smooth ends to smoothly slide over each other when I tighten the ratchet.  It sounds confusing but it is very simple. (pics on request if interested).  

Minimal increase in cost and superior to  the usual velcro-only  2 belt system.  No bunching, never gets loose, more easily adjustable, etc.

I did the same thing with my ELS belt. I ordered one too small and the inner Velcro is as well. So when I loop it through my belt loops there is an open space in the back where the ratchet is. So when I ratchet my belt tighter there is no bunching.

There is no reason the inner belt needs to overlap. It is only there to keep the outer belt locked into the belt loops and an overlap doesn't help that at all.

10 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

There is no reason the inner belt needs to overlap. It is only there to keep the outer belt locked into the belt loops and an overlap doesn't help that at all.

That probably applies to DAA and CR Speed belts without ratchet systems as well. Makes me want to experiment now. Thanks for the idea. 

Discussions are always good. I have definitely learned how to improve the ratchet system on my ELS Belt at a minimum. 

Edited by Boomstick303