Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What distance do you sight your red dot?

Ozy

Most of the time I am sighted in at 15yds.  I shoot both IDPA and USPSA and between distances at local matches range from 5yds to 25yds.  If I am shooting a National IDPA match I will keep it sighted in at 15, but if I will be shooting a National USPSA match I will sighted in at 50yds. 

Edited by S&W686

My major load, a 115 JHP @ 1470 fps is zeroed at 25.  It is .36" low at 17, .35" high at 43, 0 high at 63 and .35" low at 70.  As far as I'm concerned that's essentially a straight line.  Since I've never seen a target in a USPSA match farther than 75 yards, I'm good.  It's only 3" low at 100- more than good enough for a popper at that range, and powerful enough to knock it down.

Currently 15 yards zero...Only shooting USPSA with the Open gun.

Option 1:  change it for nationals since sometimes you can find one stage with 30-35 yard shoots (not the norm throughout the match)

Option 2:  Zero at 15 or 25 yards, but know your elevation/drop (POI) at certain distances (10/15/20/25/30/35 yards)

You guys might want to plug in your bullet or one of same weight and your velocity into JDM Ballistic Calculator. Any of you that are rifle shooters especially if you shoot long range as I do are likely very familiar with it so this old hat.  

I think you will find for ranges from a few yards out to 50 yds a 15 yd zero will give you the least +/- POA/POI in elevation.  As an example take a typical 115 gr 9mm @1100 fps.  Between say 5 and 50 yds you would have a max of roughly ½" +/- POA/POI evolution. Just aim dead on.

For a max point blank range zero within a 2" variance in elevation +/- you could zero at 8yd which is also a 76yd zero and have a range of 0-90 yds and only be off by 2" of +/-.  Most people unfamiliar with shooting LR with handguns would nit believe that lol.

Playing with a ballistic calculator can be interesting even with handguns.  For those that do n I t know JDM is a goto for free online ballistic calculators  

JDM Ballistic Calculators

Edited by tim_w

4 hours ago, tim_w said:

You guys might want to plug in your bullet or one of same weight and your velocity into JDM Ballistic Calculator. Any of you that are rifle shooters especially if you shoot long range as I do are likely very familiar with it so this old hat.  

I think you will find for ranges from a few yards out to 50 yds a 15 yd zero will give you the least +/- POA/POI in elevation.  As an example take a typical 115 gr 9mm @1100 fps.  Between say 5 and 50 yds you would have a max of roughly ½" +/- POA/POI evolution. Just aim dead on.

For a max point blank range zero within a 2" variance in elevation +/- you could zero at 8yd which is also a 76yd zero and have a range of 0-90 yds and only be off by 2" of +/-.  Most people unfamiliar with shooting LR with handguns would nit believe that lol.

Playing with a ballistic calculator can be interesting even with handguns.  For those that do n I t know JDM is a goto for free online ballistic calculators  

JDM Ballistic Calculators

Right on ELR shooter here