Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LRBHO - doesn’t work with some Mags

I have an Aero EPC9, that has LRBHO. I find that with some mags it hold open when completely empty. Others it hold open with 1 round left.. What would cause it to hold open before completely empty?  Should I change mag springs?  Any other suggestions? 

9mm LRBHO is sketchy at best, some just do not work reliably, others seems to work fine for the most part. One thing.....you may want to look at is the actual BHO on lower, it may be that they put a weaker spring in that to help with the function of the LRBHO for the glock magazine. I'm just not a fan of anything BHO, sorry......they are more of a liability than good. I've just learned to count.....know when I am empty, reload and rack......seems to be the most reliable way to go overall.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I contacted Aero by email, twice. I’ve received confirmations that they received the email and would respond. ASAP. Well, it’s been over a week since the 2 nd email and NO RESPONSE. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect a response, even if they don’t have a solution. So, in my opinion  Aero’s customer service sucks. I won’t be a future customer of their products. And just like the saying “a happy customer tells no one, but an unhappy customer tells EVERYONE, I won’t hesitate to tell everyone about my experience with Aero n

Sorry to hear about your issue.  Maybe they are out trying to diagnose the problem before replying.

However, the BHO is a PIA.  On all the PCC lowers I have, it is the first thing to be taken off and discarded.  It's simply not worth the hassle.  TRUBL is correct; simple math.  Good luck.

3 hours ago, WxGuy said:

Maybe they are out trying to diagnose the problem before replying.

If that were the case, I'd imagine sending him a email stating that would have gone along way. 

I do agree it's probably not worth the hassle. I'm going to use my PCC in IDPA some and I'll just have to pull the charging handle on every reload. 

1 hour ago, egd5 said:

Unless it's a mandatory reload you won't need to do a reload with pcc. With max 18 rd stages even shorter mags will hold plenty.

Around here they really like downloaded starts. The last state match I shot CO and I'm pretty sure half the stages I had to start with 6 rounds in the gun. 

29 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Around here they really like downloaded starts. The last state match I shot CO and I'm pretty sure half the stages I had to start with 6 rounds in the gun. 

What game is this?

14 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

1 string of The IDPA classifier requires start with 6 rounds. Engage, emergency reload, re-engage. Since it’s the classifier, I want to be able to do as fast as possible. That’s really about the only reason I care about LRBHO. I have 4 mags that work so I’m pretty well set. I just thought if it was an easy fix, I try. 

I really disappointed in the lack of response from Aero. In the future I’ll stay away from their products. There art lots of other quality options out there. 

3 hours ago, mitommy said:

1 string of The IDPA classifier requires start with 6 rounds. Engage, emergency reload, re-engage. Since it’s the classifier, I want to be able to do as fast as possible. That’s really about the only reason I care about LRBHO. I have 4 mags that work so I’m pretty well set. I just thought if it was an easy fix, I try. 

I really disappointed in the lack of response from Aero. In the future I’ll stay away from their products. There art lots of other quality options out there. 

I think you can make MA with out LRBHO. I came close and my mag didn't drop free so I had to pull it out, plus I dropped 2 points. I might do it again at some point, but EX is fine with me. 

The lack of response is pretty lame, I'd rather get a s#!tty response then nothing at all. 

11 hours ago, Sarge said:

Just seems a lazy way to increase the challenge?

That's kind of my feeling. Some times I think it's also stage designers who shoot lower capacity divisions trying to force the 10 round guns to do 2 reloads instead of just one. There were local revolver shooters who would build stages with arrays of 6 shots then force all loading devices to be loaded to 6. If I wanted to do that I would of shot revolver. 

19 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I think you can make MA with out LRBHO. I came close and my mag didn't drop free so I had to pull it out, plus I dropped 2 points. I might do it again at some point, but EX is fine with me. 

The lack of response is pretty lame, I'd rather get a s#!tty response then nothing at all. 

Not when the String says “start with only 5 rounds in the gun. Fire 5 shots, emergency reload and fire 5 additional shots.”  And the LRBHO locks back with 1 round left in the mag.  I guess I could have extra ammo in 2nd mag. Fire 4 shots, then when bolt holds open, do emergency reload, and fire 6 shots. Although that technically doesn’t follow COF. 

I guess your next option if you are going to play in IDPA is to get a lower that works for the game.  FoxTrot Mike and Angstadt (my favorite lower) come to mind.  Someone will buy the Aero from you.  We live and learn.

4 hours ago, mitommy said:

Not when the String says “start with only 5 rounds in the gun. Fire 5 shots, emergency reload and fire 5 additional shots.”  And the LRBHO locks back with 1 round left in the mag.  I guess I could have extra ammo in 2nd mag. Fire 4 shots, then when bolt holds open, do emergency reload, and fire 6 shots. Although that technically doesn’t follow COF. 

I missed that part of your OP. Yeah, if you bolt stays open with one round in the mag that would certainly be a issue in IDPA. Mine has never done that, it's more likely to just not hold open at all. I'd probably just disable it, I'd rather it not work at all then lock open with one round in the mag. You're going to eat some PE's doing that. 

You might be able to switch to a different bullet profile or OAL. maybe tweak the gun a little. Sounds like your LRBHO works to well. I've had 2011's that the bullet could hit the slide lock, and with some tweak I got them to work. 

I am not familiar with Aero PCC platform but does Aero specify which magazine to use with their lower?  If the lower was designed with a specific mag in mind then maybe that’s the issue. Many PCCs have a lot of issues with off brand magazines. There is a reason almost all of them are designed to run Glock mags. 

Did you call Aero?  Maybe the person in charge of answering emails has dropped the ball or is out of office or has been and is working through their back log.  While I agree it can be poor customer service to not answer emails there could be many things going on at companies where answering 1000s of email a day become low on the priority list. Especially when it’s hard to find reliable labor as it is now.  I would call a company before writing them off.

I am constsntly reminded why I do not participate in IDPA on this board almost on the daily. 

4 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I am constsntly reminded why I do not participate in IDPA on this board almost on the daily. 

You're probably not missing much. It can be fun you just can't take it seriously. I don't know if PCC is fun in IDPA because my local clubs MD doesn't like them so I can't shoot it. My first match will be a major in a different state lol. 

Take the upper off the lower and observe how each mag interfaces with the LRBO. Your are stacking tolerances and some mags may be fitting better than others. Movement of the mag in the magwell can effect performance also. Check and or replace the LRBO spring. I shimmed two MBX mags for my PCC cause I didn't like the way they wobbled somewhat more than my Glock and ETS mags did. They worked great before I shimmed them, but was trying to eliminate variables. My lower is a FoxtrotMike.

• 5 months later...