Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone make their own barrel shroud?

I was looking at converting a pistol length PCC and making my own shroud and getting it pinned so I can run it as a rifle. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions on where to get materials?

If someone knows where to buy one similar to what Taccom uses on their ULW barely I would definitely just buy one instead. It needs to have 9/16 -24 threads....

Had a squib issue that left four bullets and three bulges in the last six inches of a barrel, but did no damage to the first ten inches. 

Cut the barrel, and installed a .75" ID aluminum tube over the gas block area (it was a perfect fit). Pinned and welded it in place. 

It shoots great, balances nicely, and saved me the cost of replacing the barrel.

All of that said, unless you have a barrel laying around, or one damaged toward the muzzle, it's not worth the money to buy a barrel and shorten it when you see what Taccom charges for their barrels, and the Taccom barrels are ramped, and work well. Taccom makes good stuff, and I have one of their 12/16 barrels on my Glock mag gun. 

The barrel I did was damaged, so it was cut, shroud, and use, or toss in trash. It has no ramp, so I use it on my Colt lower, and it works great. On Glock mag guns though, I'd suggest something with a ramp.