Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major load data for blue bullets

Reloader98

Hello everyone, 

I’m considering ordering the blue bullets 9mm 125 TC (truncated cone) for my 9mm major gun. a JL Hardy shorty 4.25” comped with two popple holes. 

My current load: 

MG JHP 124gr

WAC 7.4 gr 

CCI small pistol primers 

1.160 oal +/- .004 (variation in bullet length) 

Chrono: 1388-1400 172 PF

im running low on Montana gold bullets and can’t seem to order anymore because of the situation with the reloading component shortage. I’m pretty much dead set on blue bullets as I’ve read pretty much everything that can be read about costed bullets on benos. And ordering MG’s from people on gun broker is ridiculous. 

so have any of you had any experience loading these specific bullets and what data did you or currently use for them? 

thanks everyone! 

27 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

I’ve loaded virtually nothing but 125TC coated bullets for open. 

Blue. BBI. Brass Monkey are all GTG in my personal experience. 

Thanks dirtyJ, what’s your load looking like for open with the 125 TC

4 minutes ago, Reloader98 said:

Thanks dirtyJ, what’s your load looking like for open with the 125 TC

I’m in a 5” barrel… and loaded a bit shorter than you… and don’t have the same powder. 

Using Shooters World ultimate pistol… which is very similar to WAC from what I’ve heard. YMMV 

125TC

6.7gr Ultimate Pistol 

Fed205 small rifle primers 

1.15” OAL 

170 PF @ 1360 FPS  avg. 

56 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

I’m in a 5” barrel… and loaded a bit shorter than you… and don’t have the same powder. 

Using Shooters World ultimate pistol… which is very similar to WAC from what I’ve heard. YMMV 

125TC

6.7gr Ultimate Pistol 

Fed205 small rifle primers 

1.15” OAL 

170 PF @ 1360 FPS  avg. 

well thanks again dirtyJ. 
it seems like they are the way to go from what I’ve heard in other forum topics about these bullets, hopefully I can get some data from others with WAC.

3 hours ago, kujo929 said:

I load 8.2-8.4 HS6 at 1.170 with round nose blue 125’s. I believe it was the same with the TC’s

Just curious about this one all though it’s kind of off topic, but do you have a Dillon 650? Or Dillon dies, because my seating stem doesn’t fit my current bullets and seats them a little crooked. If you have those dies, have you had the same issue with the blue bullets? 

15 minutes ago, Reloader98 said:

Just curious about this one all though it’s kind of off topic, but do you have a Dillon 650? Or Dillon dies, because my seating stem doesn’t fit my current bullets and seats them a little crooked. If you have those dies, have you had the same issue with the blue bullets? 

Pretty common issues with the Dillon seating plugs for 40 and 9mm and truncated cone bullets. I'm not familiar with the Blue Bullets profile, but if they are remotely round nosed, I would suggest you seat with the round nose side of the plug. There are certain dies like the Redding Competition Seating die that ONLY seat using the ogive. The issue with the Dillon flat nose side of the seating plug is run out and it is very easy to seat a bullet that isn't straight. Does it matter in the long run? According to some articles like this one (https://americanhandgunner.com/gear/crooked-seated-bullets-and-accuracy/), it does not. 

Back when I ran a supercomp opengun, I ran 115 blue bullets and 124 PD JHP with the same powder charge and didn’t adjust my dies , basically just just swap bullet types and load 

both loads made major, and most importantly for me was both loads recoiled the same, dot tracked the same and I could swap loads and not notice the difference 

9 hours ago, Reloader98 said:

I load on a 1050. Redding competition seating die. 

On 9/1/2021 at 2:59 PM, Reloader98 said:

Hello everyone, 

I’m considering ordering the blue bullets 9mm 125 TC (truncated cone) for my 9mm major gun. a JL Hardy shorty 4.25” comped with two popple holes. 

My current load: 

MG JHP 124gr

WAC 7.4 gr 

CCI small pistol primers 

1.160 oal +/- .004 (variation in bullet length) 

Chrono: 1388-1400 172 PF

im running low on Montana gold bullets and can’t seem to order anymore because of the situation with the reloading component shortage. I’m pretty much dead set on blue bullets as I’ve read pretty much everything that can be read about costed bullets on benos. And ordering MG’s from people on gun broker is ridiculous. 

so have any of you had any experience loading these specific bullets and what data did you or currently use for them? 

thanks everyone! 

My load with the 125 truncated Kimberlin Creek bullets (same mold as the blue bullets 125TCs)

6.4 or 6.5 WAC

1.16OAL

S&B SPP

171ish PF

Older STI Trubor no popples

9 hours ago, sam_b said:

My load with the 125 truncated Kimberlin Creek bullets (same mold as the blue bullets 125TCs)

6.4 or 6.5 WAC

1.16OAL

S&B SPP

171ish PF

Older STI Trubor no popples

Thank you Sam, I’m using the same OAL, but with MG 125 JHPs right now. I didn’t know that KC bullets use the same mold, that’s interesting, I’ll have to look into them. Have you had any major build up in your comp?

9 hours ago, Reloader98 said:

Thank you Sam, I’m using the same OAL, but with MG 125 JHPs right now. I didn’t know that KC bullets use the same mold, that’s interesting, I’ll have to look into them. Have you had any major build up in your comp?

There will be buildup with any coated bullet(that I've tried so far at least) just gotta clean it every thousand or so so it doesn't get overwhelming. Peroxide and apple cider vinegar soak and scrape works for me.

My open gun is an STI with 5” barrel. I switched from 124gr Montana Golds to the Blue Bullet. I was concerned with the comp getting clogged up with the blue coating. Rest easy it just never happens. Standard disclaimer and common sense work up to the load you’re targeting checking pressure indicators along the way.

125gr TC Blue Bullet

8.5gr HS6

1.175” OAL

1360fps

170PF

Dillon 550 press

CED Chrono

12 hours ago, rwmagnus said:

My open gun is an STI with 5” barrel. I switched from 124gr Montana Golds to the Blue Bullet. I was concerned with the comp getting clogged up with the blue coating. Rest easy it just never happens. Standard disclaimer and common sense work up to the load you’re targeting checking pressure indicators along the way.

125gr TC Blue Bullet

8.5gr HS6

1.175” OAL

1360fps

170PF

Dillon 550 press

CED Chrono

Thanks rwmagnus, appreciate the info, I totally see where everyone is coming from with the clogging issue. It seems like it’s not a big deal though now that I’ve heard reviews from lots of other people. Quick question, if you have a Dillon press, do you have Dillon dies? If so how is the seating stem with the blue bullets, my MG’s are always crooked and I’m curious if you’ve had the same issue with the blue bullets 

Not sure how many rounds I can run through my Open pistol before it gets unreliable from dirt. I do know I’ve run 3 matches close to 600 rounds before it feels like there could be. Malfunction from dirt. Has nothing to do with coated bullets or specifically Blue Bullets as they are what I shoot in all my pistols. Many say HS6 is a dirty powder but I dont see it as being any more dirty than anything else. In todays times HS6 is still hard to get but its around. I’ve never found coatings in my comp just burnt powder residue.

Find your load and get after it assuming you can find primers!