Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SCSA open minor load help (bunch o ?)

Bakerjd

About to send off one of my 1911 9mm to Dan at D2 Customs for him to make me an awesome open minor blaster for the Steel Challange. Here are my questions and as much info as I think I give. Feel free to lol, ask questions and help me. I just started loading this season (great idea, terrible time to start).

I am using a Dillon RL1100 with mr bullet feeder. It is currently set up for 9mm minor for USPSA. Load info: SNS or DG bullets 135gn round nose coated. 1.129OAL. 3.3GN Titegroup. Mixed brass and mixed small primers, usually CCI SPP or Federal SPP. I have SRP, SPM, SRM as well but trying to save the odd ball ones for my 9mm open major stuff when ever I decide to shoot that. 

Powders on hand: Titegroup, CSB1M, HS6, WIN231/HP38, WIN 572, AA7, WAC. 

Bullets: I would like to go with a coated 115gn from DG or SNS but would be ok with using plated, or JHP. 

Gun setup: Dan Wesson 5" 9mm 1911 with 2 or 3 port comp, not sure yet as Dan has not built it yet. He has built a few open minor guns though. Will be a cone style comp so I dont have to buy a new barrel. 

My thinking is I would like to just have to swap the powder charge hopper thing out from the one with titegroup for the one I have the powder in for the open minor load and leave all the dies where they are set at right now. I dont know if going from a coated bullet of 135gn to 115gn coated or other will allow me to do that though? If not that's not a big deal, should I just adjust these dies or set up another tool head?

What style bullets and powder would work best for me using the listed powders on hand?

Thanks everyone!

Baker - First thought. If I were you I would pause before loading a large batch of any round until your pistol is back in your hands and you are able to do some testing on your new load(s) to ensure that they will cycle 100% in your new gun. Again just my opinion. 

As for load information - Mine may not be of use to you but will share what I load for all of my pistols and PPC rifle that cycles flawlessly in all of them.

Mixed Brass

124Gr JHP -Precision Delta or 124Gr FMJ-RMR Bullet

3.5grs. W231

Primers - CCI SPP

OAL - 1.10”

This is a minor load that comes in around 1025 fps but it cycles perfectly and I have almost no muzzle rise. Good luck with your new gun. Once you get a load tuned for it the rest will be decided behind the gun. 

Edited by Sigarmsp226

B, the first thing you have to find out is what it takes to cycle the slide.  Then decide whether you want to work the comp or not.

I built my 1911 SCSA Open gun to shoot major.  I figured I could shoot the same load as in my USPSA Open guns.  It didn't work out that way.  I was asked at one club not to shoot my major load (115 @ 1470) because they feared damage to the steel and potential ricochets.   So I developed a slower 124gr load.  The gun will not cycle at anything less than 144PF, and 150+ is better.  Most of the Open shooters I know run 150-155Fp with a powder like WAC.  It works the comp and is easy on the slide.  AA7 works well also, but it is a little dirty at low pressure.  You also have to use a lot of it.  I would be using WAC except I have a lot of 3N38 and want to use it.  I can't fit enough in the 9mm case to make major, so I'm using it up for minor.  7.0 under a 124 heavy plate is really nice.

My home club does not allow compensated guns in their matches.  So I fit a normal bull barrel and use that in their competitions.  My load for that barrel is 124gr at sub-100 PF using e3.  The POI is the same as the comp'd barrel so I can switch back and forth at will.  The dot barely moves.  That setup is great for SCSA..  It doesn't work at all in the comp'd barrel.  The comp redirects the gas and there isn't enough left to operate the slide.  In fact it barely moves.  Since you only have a comp'd barrel, you'll have to decide whether minor with a fast powder feels better than a slow powder.  My preference is for fast powder in regulad barrels and slow (WAC or slower) for comps.

Poly bullets in a comp's gun are a problem.  The coating gets flame cut and leads the comp.  They are hard to clean.  I run only plated or JHPs inn my comp'd guns.  Even FMJs will lead the comp.

IMO 1.129" OAL is too short if you want to work the comp.  With a slow powder you are raising pressure.  Make a couple of dummy rounds to 1.150" and send them to Dan.  Have him make sure the barrel is throated enough to accept them without touching the lands.  Throat longer if you want to be sure.  My Brazos barrel it throated to .100" instead of the .055" I normally use.  It does not affect accuracy at all.

Check with the clubs you plan to shoot at.  Some have a 1250fps limit.  If one of yours does, 124s are the way to go.  You'll be under that at 150PF with 124s.

Use your current minor load. See how you like it. You maybe surprised at how well it works.

W231/HP38 makes more gas than most thank. Would not bother with Tight Group. WAC would

be a good choice. HS6 and AA#7 are a little slow for a clean burn in minor. If willing to change

bullet Ill suggest SNS 95 gr .380 bullet. 

Good info all. Not going to load anything until I have the gun. 

I have another question though. What's the longest OAL you can run in a 9mm 1911 mag? @zzt mentioned my OAL of 1.129 is probably too short.

I would like to work the comp so I'm thinking WAC is going to be my first powder to try. 

17 hours ago, zzt said:

B, the first thing you have to find out is what it takes to cycle the slide.  Then decide whether you want to work the comp or not.

I built my 1911 SCSA Open gun to shoot major.  I figured I could shoot the same load as in my USPSA Open guns.  It didn't work out that way.  I was asked at one club not to shoot my major load (115 @ 1470) because they feared damage to the steel and potential ricochets.   So I developed a slower 124gr load.  The gun will not cycle at anything less than 144PF, and 150+ is better.  Most of the Open shooters I know run 150-155Fp with a powder like WAC.  It works the comp and is easy on the slide.  AA7 works well also, but it is a little dirty at low pressure.  You also have to use a lot of it.  I would be using WAC except I have a lot of 3N38 and want to use it.  I can't fit enough in the 9mm case to make major, so I'm using it up for minor.  7.0 under a 124 heavy plate is really nice.

Did a little testing tonight with OAL using some 9major rounds I have from Everglades with their JHP 124gn bullet, I'll be using the 115gn though so not exaclty a direct comparison but I think it will be good enough to see if barrel/chamber is good and they fit mags. Results were good. Longest one I checked was 1.1485" OAL and fit the chamber fine and mag fine. They fit my Wilson mags good, not to close to the front of the mags to hang up but not very much wiggle room either. So I'm thinking I'll set the press up for a 1.145" OAL. 

Decided I'll use WAC since I dont want to use it for 9 major, and have 8lbs of it. What charge weight would you think is good to start around?

I wont be doing any loading till I have the gun back but I'd like to be ready since my SCSA season is end of November to mid may. It's my off USPSA season game. 

Brownell's mags (Metalform) can run up to 1.161" OAL.  That is the only magazine out of the five I tried that will do so.  I wanted to potentially use the 1911 as a backup to my Open 2011.  That was before I built a 2011 backup.

One of my shooting friends runs 5.6gr WAC under a 115 JHP.  Don't know the PF but it runs well in his pistol.

One of the things you have to consider is whether you plan to run major and minor out of the same gun.  If you don't want to change anything when switching, your minor load will end up hot.  If you run major with minor springing you risk battering the slide and beating up your optic.  I used to change springs when switching, but always worried about forgetting.  Now both 2011s are set up for major only.  The 1911 is set up for minor only.

Edited by zzt

Until you get in back, you'll just be guessing.  I had a STI Match Master that ran 170+ PF major loads, and with a spring change, 115 PF sub-minor Steel loads.  Like many "late model" STI's, the slide broke.  When I got it back, I sold it and built a dedicated SS Open gun.  It is a similar build to yours, Springfield RO with a shortened slide, EGW cone adapter and Cheely Ti comp.  The Cheely comp is so effective, it takes a 125-130 to run with a 7 lbs. spring.  Loads with MG 115 CMJ's are snappy and loads with MG 124 CMJ's are softer with more dot movement.  I've tried Autocomp, HS6 and N350.  HS6 is my pick, but it's subjective.  My load is 6.7 HS6 with a MG 115 CMJ loaded to 1.160" OAL. = 132 PF.