Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Guy from Mass.

BillWV

59 minutes ago, BillWV said:

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Bill. I started shooting IDPA this year. It's a ton of fun!! I shoot a Canik SFX in CO as a Distinguished Senior.

Welcome Bill,

Where in MA are you shooting IDPA?  Or are you having to travel to CT & RI?

-Cuz

Welcome! What clubs do you shoot at? I am a MA local as well.

While I don't shoot IDPA, Pioneer Sportsman puts on a match called Live Free or Die, and its quite a popular, fun match from what I have heard. It might be up your alley for IDPA stuff.

Also, how do you like the Canik? I've seen a fair few number of shooters with them and I am curious about their quality. Are they similar to Glock? 

So far I have shot matches at Harvard, Worcester and Pioneer. May look into IPSC and USPSA as well. It's all fun!!

I was looking for gun that was competition ready or close to it when I found the Canik. I have shot Glocks and Smiths but really liked the feel of the Canik. Trigger out of the box was excellent. The springs out of the box are quite sturdy and needed a bit of work. I upgraded the recoil, striker, trigger bar and striker plunger springs plus I polished some of the internals. I also added a Freedomsmith trigger which made a huge difference on an already great trigger.

Edited by BillWV

And of course, don’t forget about the falling steel plate matches in RI at the Wallum Lake R&G Club. Fall Walls is Sep 25 & 26. If you’ve never done that you definitely want to give it a try. 

Registration is on PractiScore. 

On 8/31/2021 at 5:02 AM, BillWV said:

So far I have shot matches at Harvard, Worcester and Pioneer. May look into IPSC and USPSA as well. It's all fun!!

I was looking for gun that was competition ready or close to it when I found the Canik. I have shot Glocks and Smiths but really liked the feel of the Canik. Trigger out of the box was excellent. The springs out of the box are quite sturdy and needed a bit of work. I upgraded the recoil, striker, trigger bar and striker plunger springs plus I polished some of the internals. I also added a Freedomsmith trigger which made a huge difference on an already great trigger.

Definitely check out USPSA! I primarily shoot USPSA, its more fast paced competition, and it will speed up your skill development. Check out practiscore for matches. Bass River in Yarmouth is also putting on a match this Sunday at 9:30am, it is not listed on PS, but they still run it. 150 rounds or so, 4 stages + 1 classifier - no membership needed. 

On 8/31/2021 at 10:02 AM, Cuz said:

And of course, don’t forget about the falling steel plate matches in RI at the Wallum Lake R&G Club. Fall Walls is Sep 25 & 26. If you’ve never done that you definitely want to give it a try. 

I second this. Its a fun match to go wild in. Last month they had a Texas star stage, and a few spinners.

On 8/31/2021 at 10:02 AM, Cuz said:

I totally agree…. You definitely should try out Walls!! I’m a fellow Mass shooter and welcome…  there is also a small steel match every month at the Rod & Gun club of New Bedford, static & reactive targets…

https://practiscore.com/clubs/rod-and-gun-club-of-new-bedford

Edited by Leezway
Link