Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is SCSA big enough to have its own BOD?

UFO

Is SCSA big enough to have its own BOD?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have our own BOD making decisions for the future of Steel Challenge?

• YES
    • NO

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steoger has talked about this on his podcast. He makes a good point really. USPSA shooters for the most part don't care about SC and the opposite is probably true for SC shooters. I'm sure there are some exceptions. It would make a lot of sense for SC shooters to have their own reps to come up with solutions to what ever problems they have. 

Would this cause the two sports to drift apart, would the rules sets start to look different? Does that even matter? 

It it is financially feasible, yes.  USPSA pushes USPSA matches.  One club I shoot at wanted to have half USPSA and half SCSA matches.  After the first year they were told to have more USPSA matches, or else.

R is correct.  The majority of USPSA shooters could care less about SCSA.  The reverse is also true.  I see very few USPSA shooters at the SCSA matches I go to.  And yes, the rules should drift apart.  For instance, it makes no sense to me to issue an official range command to a rimfire SCSA shooter that will not be followed.  I also think there should be an abbreviated RO class specifically for SCSA for those who want to become ROs and will never shoot a USPSA match.  

Since I RO both, I got the SCSA Endorsement.  I think that is important.  Some things ARE different between the two.

Edited by zzt

1 hour ago, revolver45 said:

Based on a conversation I had with Zack from USPSA, It's all about the numbers and USPSA far exceeds the Syeel Challenge.

SCSA Affiliate Clubs were up 31.1% from 2018 -2019, Up 17.1% from 2019 - 2020 compared to USPSA up single digits.

First, I apologize for giving you the wrong information. It was Jake I talked to not Zack. Yes, the SCSA has grown in the last three years, but the number of USPSA shooters far exceeds the SCSA shooters, and based on my conversation with him (Jake) the numbers win. 

9 minutes ago, revolver45 said:

First, I apologize for giving you the wrong information. It was Jake I talked to not Zack. Yes, the SCSA has grown in the last three years, but the number of USPSA shooters far exceeds the SCSA shooters, and based on my conversation with him (Jake) the numbers win. 

That really has nothing to do with the question at hand. Yes, USPSA has more shooters, but SCSA has outgrown USPSA by double digits. I know Jake very well, Jake does not think to highly of SCSA. Talking to Zack at WSSC a couple of years ago, he loved the idea of having our own BOD to make decisions.

My 2 cents

Should they have their own BOD--yes for reasons stated above.

Should they/we be separate organizations--I say no. SC has grown under uspsa more than it ever did. The added exposure in magazines, publicity, etc  that comes along with the number of shooters in uspsa is invaluable, IMO. True there isn't a ton of crossover, but there is some due to that added exposure.

How much publicity would the sc nationals have had without uspsa? Not much I think.

It's relatively easy for a uspsa club to go ahead and have sc matches also. If they had to join some separate organization and deal with more fees, rules/requirements, etc. I don't think they would. I'm afraid sc would slowly die out.

14 hours ago, UFO said:

SCSA Affiliate Clubs were up 31.1% from 2018 -2019, Up 17.1% from 2019 - 2020 compared to USPSA up single digits.

Is this information posted somewhere by USPSA/SCSA?  I have often wondered what the stats are.

I voted 'Yes' but agree with everything posted above...  SCSA should have their own BOD, but I don't think it will happen...  We run one Level II match a year and always have trouble getting NROI certified Range Officers to help run the match...  Not many SCSA shooters will bother getting NROI certified and not many USPSA RO's and CRO's care about Steel Challenge...  There are a few of us that shoot both, but not many.

12 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Not many SCSA shooters will bother getting NROI certified

Another reason to offer a shortened, one day SCSA certification class for SCSA ROs.  If I only shot SCSA there is no way I'd go to a two-day USPSA RO class where 2/3 of what I'm taught and tested on has no meaning in SCSA.

I shoot both, as does my wife and I’m pretty sure neither of us care is in the slightest whether steel challenge has a separate board of directors or not. I get that the average Uspsa shooter doesn’t care much about steel challenge but what problems are you trying to solve?

On 8/29/2021 at 8:51 AM, David.Hylton said:

If you want to add a BOD for SCSA, why stop there. What about SCSA area directors and state directors? It seems the same benign neglect happens at that level also.

That's in essence is what a SCSA board would be, Area Directors for SCSA. They would be appointed positions, and have no travel budget like our current Area Director have.

It stood on its own before uspsa bought it. They didn't buy it because they thought it would be a horrible money suck.

SC has value and should be its own thing, separate from uspsa in all ways. I voted yes.