Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL1100 w/ DAA Magnetic Powder Check

DirtBag

Good Day All,

I have my RL1100 setup finally in 9mm with DAA Mag check in Station 6 right after the powder drop just like in this setup - https://ultimatereloader.com/2020/10/05/warp-speed-loading-9mm-on-the-dillon-rl-1100-with-mr-bullet-feeder/

Issue: The Magnet on the DAA check seams to be so close to the powder measure housing that it is interfering with movement of the sensor rod.  Essentially it functions but 1 is slow to reset, drop with gravity, and actually holds itself above a full reset. 

Has anyone else experienced this or have thoughts to do anything about it

The 1st image shows with the bar at full reset
The 2nd image shows where it 'naturally' is resetting to
The 3rd image shows the proximity to the powder measure 

I don't really think any of these can be moved and you can't shield magnetism  so what should I do?

20210827_110720_XS.jpg

20210827_110731_XS.jpg

20210827_110738_XS.jpg

Dirt - I actually use the Dillon powder check on my 1100 and it works flawlessly. I know it does not address your issue and for that I cannot help.

BUT a side note that I need to mention - I currently do not have my MBF hooked up right now either while using the Dillon powder check unit.

@Sigarmsp226 Any chance you'd be able to post a pic of your set up from both sides? 

My Mag check was a issue from opening it - the plastic pistol insert was malformed and DAA asked me to use a file to open it up...

@dwbsig - I'm new on the RL1100 but when setting it up it didn't seem to have much room to rotate due to the powder reset bar, anyone have a comment on that part of it as well? rotating the powder measure was a though but I dont want the reset bar binding up.

Dirt - I am not the greatest picture taker but I gave it my best shot.  Thought I would start with a picture of myself to make sure the camera was focusing like it is supposed too and to make sure the lighting was good - my selfie turned out pretty dang good - this is my better side for taking selfies.  Hope my pictures help.  

untitled-png2.png

FCFB9671-E3-C9-4-E07-A30-B-AD39-A731-AAA

A7-A86-C6-A-5846-49-CD-B927-0-B931571730

B37559-C1-BBEF-4044-A398-DCFA8201722-C.j

B3996061-ACF7-40-B6-99-D7-8-FABE12-DA029

Baker - Scary I know…😂

They are Redding’s. I will say without question the micro-seating is worth the cost.  As for the micro-crimp I was going to get one for my 650 set up where I load other 9mm as well as six other calibers but decided to save the bucks because once you decided on a bullet style and size - for me - it has pretty much been a set it and forget it die and at a cost of around $80.00 each I decided for my type shooting I did not need the micro-seating…

Precision shooters/reloaders will disagree and I respect their position 100% but for me that level of micro-crimp capability is not a requirement…but the micro-seating - Man I love the convenience of being able to make that OAL adjustment with the turn of a dial without have to get the die wrench out everytime… 

Edited by Sigarmsp226

16 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Baker - Scary I know…😂

They are Redding’s. I will say without question the micro-seating is worth the cost.  As for the micro-crimp I was going to get one for my 650 set up where I load other 9mm as well as six other calibers but decided to save the bucks because once you decided on a bullet style and size - for me - it has pretty much been a set it and forget it die and at a cost of around $80.00 each I decided for my type shooting I did not need the micro-seating…

Precision shooters/reloaders will disagree and I respect their position 100% but for me that level of micro-crimp capability is not a requirement…but the micro-seating - Man I love the convenience of being able to make that OAL adjustment with the turn of a dial without have to get the die wrench out everytime… 

I love the Redding dies. I use the Competition set for 9mm, 40, and 357. I use the microcrimp for 40 and it is very smooth to crimp with. How smooth is your 9mm microcrimp? For some reason, mine jerks when removing the case from the die. It is very noticeable and has made me revert back to using the Redding taper crimp die for 9mm, which is also excellent. 

2 hours ago, pealandco said:

For some reason, mine jerks when removing the case from the die.

Mine does not do this. However the stock Dillon expanding powder funnel was. Are you sure it’s the crimp die that is causing the jerking motion and not the expanding powder funnel die when it’s belling the casing?

Pealandco - Yes Sir - Mine also has a slight resistance when I am retracting the case out. It is not so bad as to cause powder spillage because I am only loading 3.5grs of 231 powder so the case is not quite half full but it is an irritating “thump” and Boom your question/point is a valid one because that is what I thought was happening with my set up but it was actually the Redding crimp die.  I even took the die apart and cleaned it good to no avail. Now I take a small Q-Tip with a drop of oil on it and insert it up into the die every 50 rounds or so to reduce the resistance in hopes that after several thousand rounds it will stop. So far it continues to “thump” just like a sticking powder funnel does on some machines.

If it continues I will drop my Dillon crimp die in that I know works because I tried it for about 50 rounds and the “thump” went away.  Hoping this $90.00 Redding die will correct this issue (thinking in my mind it might just need a little more break in time).  Hate to have it sitting in my extra die box for what I paid for it.

I am also giving my cases a light misting of One Shot before I start loading so my cases have a light coating on them…..

Edited by Sigarmsp226

3 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Pealandco - Yes Sir - Mine also has a slight resistance when I am retracting the case out. It is not so bad as to cause powder spillage because I am only loading 3.5grs of 231 powder so the case is not quite half full but it is an irritating “thump” and Boom your question/point is a valid one because that is what I thought was happening with my set up but it was actually the Redding crimp die.  I even took the die apart and cleaned it good to no avail. Now I take a small Q-Tip with a drop of oil on it and insert it up into the die every 50 rounds or so to reduce the resistance in hopes that after several thousand rounds it will stop. So far it continues to “thump” just like a sticking powder funnel does on some machines.

If it continues I will drop my Dillon crimp die in that I know works because I tried it for about 50 rounds and the “thump” went away.  Hoping this $90.00 Redding die will correct this issue (thinking in my mind it might just need a little more break in time).  Hate to have it sitting in my extra die box for what I paid for it.

I am also giving my cases a light misting of One Shot before I start loading so my cases have a light coating on them…..

Hey Mark!

Saw your post and wanted to share what fixed my Redding TC die that was having the same issues!  Got this info from my friend at Redding:

Do you happen to have a lathe or have a buddy with a lathe or even a drill press with a large chuck?  if you did, you could chuck the inner sleeve and spin it and give it a good polish with some 320 (or finer) paper on a wooden dowel.  I believe that a good polish and maybe work the mouth a bit to give it a good radius would make all the difference in the world.  The inner sleeves are hardened so it might take a little elbow grease.

His reasoning on why they stick:

Because the sleeve travels downward with the ram stroke and doesn’t release the case until the ram is a fair amount down, it will always hang up a little bit.  It’s not normally as noticeable with a standard style crimp because the case is released from the die as soon as the ram travels downward, plus the press gives maximum mechanical advantage at the very top of its stroke.

After following his advise while being very cautious with the polishing, I eliminated 99% of the sticking from the TC die.  I normally don't like or recommend having to work on expensive dies such as these, but a little bit of effort made a huge difference!  Of course, I lube the cases with Hornady One Shot which I'm sure helps also.

Hope this helps!

TC Die Sleeve 1.png

TC Die Sleeve 3.png

I found a solution to my issue in another thread - figured I'd share here. 

Simple, I used a normal drinking staw ~1" cut to length between the plastic pistol collet and the magnetic weight on the powder check rod. This drastically reduces the overall movement of the rod and still allows it to pickup double and squib charges. Simple really, DAA should have this in the FAQ's 

Below is a picture.

H-Q2tk-CQa2YxAivE4-2NA.jpg

Dirt - That right there is some good old Red Neck engine-I-nuity.   Something so simple can fix such a disruptive (see I can use them big words every now-n-then) issue…Thanks for sharing - this is why I love hanging out with you guys - always willing to help fellow reloaders….

Hog - I do not have any of the tools necessary to fix this but I do have me a good Dremel tool. I wonder if I could take some of the polishing compound that came with my Dremel and one of those soft cloth adapters and give it a try.  If that does not work then I could try the wooden dowel and sandpaper on a drill strapped in a vice that is bolted to a bench in my neighbors barn and give that a try…..If I do I will start with 400 or finer paper and I would be spinning the dowel rather than the die….Might give this a try this weekend - I do not think I can make it any worse than what it is today….

Thanks for sharing this fix. I will let you know how this turns out…If it makes it worse I will just put my Dillon TC die back on to the press. It was what I was using before I purchased the Redding die…..

1 hour ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Hog - I do not have any of the tools necessary to fix this but I do have me a good Dremel tool. I wonder if I could take some of the polishing compound that came with my Dremel and one of those soft cloth adapters and give it a try.  If that does not work then I could try the wooden dowel and sandpaper on a drill strapped in a vice that is bolted to a bench in my neighbors barn and give that a try…..If I do I will start with 400 or finer paper and I would be spinning the dowel rather than the die….Might give this a try this weekend - I do not think I can make it any worse than what it is today….

Thanks for sharing this fix. I will let you know how this turns out…If it makes it worse I will just put my Dillon TC die back on to the press. It was what I was using before I purchased the Redding die…..

Sig:

I think it will be well worth your effort.

Looking forward to hearing your results.

DirtBag: Sorry for high-jacking your thread..........

11 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Good to have the validation. Thank you! Funny that it only happens on the 9mm microcrimp and not the 40 one. My 40 is as smooth as can be. To your point the regular Dillon and Redding taper crimp dies to not have the thump. 

16 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Mine does not do this. However the stock Dillon expanding powder funnel was. Are you sure it’s the crimp die that is causing the jerking motion and not the expanding powder funnel die when it’s belling the casing?

For sure the crimp die and it is only the 9mm Redding microcrimp. No issues with the 40 Redding microcrimp. I also have no sticking with the 9mm Dillon & Redding taper crimp dies (the one without the micrometer).

Edited by pealandco

3 minutes ago, pealandco said:

For sure the crimp die

Is it possible  you have the you have the internal sleeve upside down?  Most of the Redding dies have the ability to crimp two different bullet types.  I believe the 9mm one will crimp 9mm and 38 Super.

54 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Is it possible  you have the you have the internal sleeve upside down?  Most of the Redding dies have the ability to crimp two different bullet types.  I believe the 9mm one will crimp 9mm and 38 Super.

Totally sure it is the 9mm side. I've tried the 38 Super side before and because the sleeve ridge that crimps is not as far down you end up having to screw the microcrimp down all the way before it even starts touching a 9mm case. Apparently, this is a known issue with the Redding microadjustable crimp dies based on the previous post that @HOGRIDERwas nice enough to provide from Redding. I just find it interesting it happens on the 9mm die and not my 40 S&W adjustable crimp die. 

3 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I need to check this. Thanks Boom - I will let you know in the morning what I find. Will not be able to make it out to the reloading room this evening  - lost my kitchen pass when my Midway order arrived sooner than I planned and I was not here to “receive” it outside….

10 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

If I do I will start with 400 or finer paper and I would be spinning the dowel rather than the die….Might give this a try this weekend

I would call Redding before doing anything to the die. Once you work on it they will not help in anyway.  They might tell you the same thing @HOGRIDER already mentioned but at least you tried.  So weird some have issues but others do not using the same die.