Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

750 Help

I originally posted this on the official Dillon forum but there is more traffic and sage advice here.

The primer seating function has never worked on my 750, it seats them flush, will NOT countersink. Oh, and large pistol primers end up on the slide everytime. Shell plate is tight, I have the flat bearing on it. I can live with hand priming but I can't live with the erratic bullet seating depth. 5.56 with a target of 2.260 OAL. It will literally seat one at 2.45 and the next at 2.70. Brass is once fired Lake City decapped, wet tumbled, swaged, induction annealed, trimmed on the RT1500, tumbled, hand primed and ran through the Dillon. Bullets are 69 gr SMK BTHP, dies are Redding Master Hunter but I get similar maybe slightly better results with cheapo Lee dies. Next step I'm going to borrow a mag base dial indicator to measure where the ram stops. I hope somebody here can help me or direct me to somewhere that can.

-Rick

Make sure all stations are full (with cases) on them when setting up your OAL. If not, there will be a lot of variation as you have already experience. As for the primer seating, clean the cup and make sure the anvil is free of debris and lined up/aligned properly.

I am having the same OAL issue using my 750 and loading lead 9mm.  Trying to figure it out then I see that the bullets are being seated by the ogive of bullet and not the bullet tip. My oal's are anywhere from 1.140 to 1.148 when loading 147 grain bullets. Now I am wondering if the consistancy of bullet shape is the deciding factor and not sure what to do about it.

1 hour ago, Maaax said:

I am having the same OAL issue using my 750 and loading lead 9mm.  Trying to figure it out then I see that the bullets are being seated by the ogive of bullet and not the bullet tip. My oal's are anywhere from 1.140 to 1.148 when loading 147 grain bullets. Now I am wondering if the consistancy of bullet shape is the deciding factor and not sure what to do about it.

This is what I would consider normal, such small deviations of 8 thouands, but he has the issues with:

"a target of 2.260 OAL. It will literally seat one at 2.45 and the next at 2.70"

this is extreme...and something is not right here.

2 hours ago, George16 said:

Make sure all stations are full (with cases) on them when setting up your OAL. If not, there will be a lot of variation as you have already experience. As for the primer seating, clean the cup and make sure the anvil is free of debris and lined up/aligned properly.

All stations are full, but your post got me to thinking.  What if the sizer is stopping the upstroke in different places?  I'll play with that, I'll set the sizer to just barely hit the shell plate with no case under it like I do when running the RT1500. 

My primer cup and set pin is clean.  I once fabbed a spacer out of a feeler gauge .004, worked great for a dozen or so rounds then it ended up in the indexing innards under the shell plate.

Here is how I set the sizer, as told my Dillon: bring the platform all the way to the top, screw down the sizer until it just touches the platform. then turn it back 1/4 turn so that it doesn't contact the platform.

Unfortunately 750 does not have 2 very important features when compared to 1050/1100: primer pocket swaging and primer seating depth adjustment. So I have to spend a lot of time sorting out military brass, and really push hard on the upstroke of the handle, especially when loading some hard primers... Reloading has become more and more time and energy consuming for me. Makes me wonder why I didn't get a 1050 from the beginning.

I just moved up from a 650 to an 1100, and you're right, the swagging is a time saver. I no longer have to sort range brass looking for the crimped primers. It's not really faster at producing rounds, assuming no crimped brass on the 650. But it does save pre-loading processing time.

• 4 weeks later...

Primer seating cup (13824/13825) is what limits seating depth. File /grind a few thousands off the BOTTOM. This will enable you to seat primers deeper.

Did this modification so long ago. I forget that it was done.  

Edited by AHI