Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV SVP barrel speed vs AET barrels

Posvar

• 2 weeks later...

Just fyi, direct from SV, all new production barrels are CEVM 4340 with 1:24 twist.  As for the AET barrels, everyone I know who had one found it to be slower.  The AET in my 5.4" SV Limited gun when new required 5.7g N320 to make major with a 180g bullet, whereas all my other guns required 5.4g or less.  That gun and barrel now have 70-80k through them and I get to 170 pf w/5.2g N320.  I have a new 5.4" Limited gun with 4340 barrel on order, so it'll be interesting to see how that compares.

36 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

So for an open gun is the aet a no go?

I don't think they even make them any more.  But even if they do, there's no real advantage.  And the slower velocity is clearly a disadvantage.  Plus, any claims as to better accuracy are dubious at best.  Standard barrels will shoot half inch groups at 25 yards all day long.  AET isn't going to be any better.

2 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

i actually emailed them about when it was coming in stock. lady said they have had them on order for 10 months with no sign of when they will ever get them

Bummer. It’s an awesome barrel 

59 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

What do you think of the sv hybrid barrels? 

I like them because the rib goes all the way to the lugs which means even more slide to cut out 

I've heard reports of them being inconsistent tho 

My new SV has the latest SVP hybrid barrel and it’s awesome. 

59 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

I've heard reports of them being inconsistent tho 

Any details on this?  Kinda find that hard to believe considering they're all CNC machined in fixtures which doesn't leave much room for human error.  And they're oversize/short chamber for gunsmith fit.  So, I'd guess any issues were probably related to the fitting.  Also, the new 4340 barrels are an improvement over 416 in terms of strength and durability, which means they should last longer.

4 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Any details on this?  Kinda find that hard to believe considering they're all CNC machined in fixtures which doesn't leave much room for human error.  And they're oversize/short chamber for gunsmith fit.  So, I'd guess any issues were probably related to the fitting.  Also, the new 4340 barrels are an improvement over 416 in terms of strength and durability, which means they should last longer.

Yea I just contacted a very well known builder and he refused to put his name on anything using sv parts 

I'll probably use their barrel anyway because I like how the rib goes to the lugs

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2021 at 9:24 PM, Fo0 said:

Does anyone know how the SVP IMM and KKM 5.0" OAL compare? Thanks

The IMM barrel lower lugs are cut for a commander frame. From what my builder said they are different the a government/full size barrel lower lug and may or may not work. He didn't want to chance it as the build he was doing for me had three different uppers and was worried timing would be off on that one. So I changed it to be a KKM hybrid barrel. 

@AverageJoeShooting I just email Shooters Connection as well and got the same response. Kind of bummed out too as I wanted to get a new upper for open on another gun so I'd have a back up. Guess I'll just sit back and wait it out. I have thought about going with the new Scheumann Z or the SVI SVP barrel but have heard both are slower them the KKM and don't want to worry about power factor if I had to switch guns out at a major. I may be paranoid about it but.... I'm not in a huge rush anyways. 

7 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

The IMM barrel lower lugs are cut for a commander frame. From what my builder said they are different the a government/full size barrel lower lug and may or may not work. He didn't want to chance it as the build he was doing for me had three different uppers and was worried timing would be off on that one. So I changed it to be a KKM hybrid barrel. 

@AverageJoeShooting I just email Shooters Connection as well and got the same response. Kind of bummed out too as I wanted to get a new upper for open on another gun so I'd have a back up. Guess I'll just sit back and wait it out. I have thought about going with the new Scheumann Z or the SVI SVP barrel but have heard both are slower them the KKM and don't want to worry about power factor if I had to switch guns out at a major. I may be paranoid about it but.... I'm not in a huge rush anyways. 

i just ended up going with the new sv hybrid. i have two builds going on at the same time