Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP01 vs S2

Stafford

I've been very focused on shooting my Shadow 2 for the last 20 months, first in Production and then in CO. The SP01 was purchased as a back up and has been used very little at the range, or dry fire. Recently, I've taken it out to the range a few time and have also been dry firing. I think the balance of the SP01 may be more suitable for me than the S2. The S2 is a bit top heavy and it seems as if I always present my dot high and have to really focus to put it on target from the draw. 

I've recently started dry firing the SP01 and find that I'm quicker on the draw to target and trigger pull with irons that with the red dot on the S2.

I found out when switching from shooting my open guns to shooting my production gun I have to adjust and bring the production gun sights up to my line of sight. If you are going the other direction that would explain why you bring your CO up too high.

I recently switched my grip on my S2. Previously, I rested my thumb on the slide stop with my thumb pointing slightly upward. I then went to a thumb forward grip which seems to have helped with recoil management and accuracy. However, it does require a slight cant of my left wrist and the change leaves me indexing high and sometimes losing the dot. It's an adjustment, but when I drew with the SP01, I seemed to be right on target. I can only assume it's the slightly lighter weight with less muzzle weight that contributes to making the grip adjustment easier with that pistol. But, that's just a guess. 

You may find that the SP01 or Shadow 1 are just a better fit.

I have both the S1 and S2 and as much as I want to think I shoot my S2 better/faster. The data shows that I'm better with my S1.

If you're finding the same results, then switch and use the SP01 as your primary.  If you're shooting CO, I'd suggest the Shadow version though, so that you can mill the slide more to lower the dot.

14 hours ago, Stafford said:

I would like to try the SP01 out in a match. However, it does not have a dot, so I would be switching back to Production on the fly. 

You need to compare both pistols with similar sighting systems.

Shooting pistol A with irons to compare against pistol B with optics is a waste of time and ammo.

I have the S1 and the S2, both with optic. For me, there is no real time difference in the splits. The S1 points better for me cuz of the better balance. Therefore I get better overall scores with the S1. Your mileage may vary. 

On 8/30/2021 at 5:29 PM, Russty said:

In the latest Training Group podcast, a couple guys mention how the SP 01 fit their hand better than the Shadow 2. Smaller hands.

Haven't seen the podcast. In the pre-release video for the shadow 2 they talked about trying to make it work well for a wide range of hand sizes and the lady that shot for the CZ team said she had input. I never felt like my S2 was uncomfortable for fairly large hands ( I guess I have average sized hands fo a 6'1 person). it just did not point naturally for me. 

4 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Haven't seen the podcast. In the pre-release video for the shadow 2 they talked about trying to make it work well for a wide range of hand sizes and the lady that shot for the CZ team said she had input. I never felt like my S2 was uncomfortable for fairly large hands ( I guess I have average sized hands fo a 6'1 person). it just did not point naturally for me. 

My bad. The Training Group Live episode 32 is a discussion between Joel Park and Andreas Yankopolus about getting used to the gun you have or getting a new gun. Both men say they regret moving from the SP 01 to the Shadow 2 because the SP was a better fir for them. They both have smaller hands. 

12 hours ago, Russty said:

My bad. The Training Group Live episode 32 is a discussion between Joel Park and Andreas Yankopolus about getting used to the gun you have or getting a new gun. Both men say they regret moving from the SP 01 to the Shadow 2 because the SP was a better fir for them. They both have smaller hands. 

1239307523_ScreenShot2021-09-03at7_32_21AM.png.9d60fa1c5ec26e2047c65695d98a2578.png

Can't find the original shadow two release video from CZ, but how they look is how they felt to me and seems to explain why they pointed differently. Both good guns. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

This week, I further experimented with my grip. I tried putting my support hand pointer finger on the front of the trigger guard. This helped me point the S2 on target and not present high. This was in dry fire and I also experimented with my SP01 and a Glock 17 for comparison. It seemed to help with those as well, however neither the SP01 or Glock have a dot.

I gave it a shot in live fire practice and found that  putting my finger on the trigger guard to be something that I adjusted to quickly. I seemed to be on target without presenting high. And the couple of times I lost the dot, I was able to recover quicker. 

Anyone else use the front of the trigger guard for support?