Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decocker models

Stafford

5 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

I know the verbiage there is old and that IPSC has the same verbiage and dryfiring at make ready is not a thing there. I'm not really sure where our extended make ready dryfire routines started but I do remember when I started shooting people asked permission before taking sight pictures at make ready, so I think it likely just evolved over time without the rules ever being updated to actually reflect it.  

the rules clearly don't prohibit it. they only prohibit the finger in the trigger guard when loading, reloading, unloading, clearing malfunctions when not aimed at targets, etc...

3 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

the rules clearly don't prohibit it. they only prohibit the finger in the trigger guard when loading, reloading, unloading, clearing malfunctions when not aimed at targets, etc...

Agreed, I'm sure the verbiage is older than the loading definition, really we just need to update the verbiage to remove the parts that are clearly related to make ready procedures and replace that with a rule that says DQ if gun goes bang before "stand by" 

47 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

I know the verbiage there is old and that IPSC has the same verbiage and dryfiring at make ready is not a thing there.

[...]

41 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

32 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

Agreed, I'm sure the verbiage is older than the loading definition, really we just need to update the verbiage to remove the parts that are clearly related to make ready procedures and replace that with a rule that says DQ if gun goes bang before "stand by" 

As you seem to be referring to them, the IPSC rules on this topic are VERY different than in USPSA.  If you are interested, I suggest you read the IPSC definition of when loading starts and stops, along with what is allowed and prohibited in Chapter 8 during Load and Make Ready.  (Yes, IPSC still uses LAMR ...)  This is why you don't see dryfiring at IPSC matches.

Edited by Schutzenmeister

On 8/25/2021 at 2:50 PM, Racinready300ex said:

A good example of why to not say anything if you don't know the rules. I'd never consider not using the decocker but if I was new and a RO told me that was the rule why wouldn't I believe him? And then I'd likely be pissed with that RO when I go to a major and get DQ'd. 

And it would be your own fault for not reading the rules, at least the two sentences that tell you how to handle your specific firearm. 

On 8/27/2021 at 5:40 PM, waktasz said:

And it would be your own fault for not reading the rules, at least the two sentences that tell you how to handle your specific firearm. 

Most people don't bother with that. Telling people the rules wrong is a big part of what's wrong with IDPA. If more people just read the rules or at a minimum instead of telling people rules wrong look it up right on the spot and both parties can learn something. Instead people just keep saying what they think rules should be and we end up like IDPA where every club runs matches their way.