Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken *thumb rest [generic]* on X5 Legion

JGus

The Illinois Sectional match is this weekend so i figure i'd give my Sig X5 Legion a good cleaning. I go to take it apart and realize the GoGuns *thumb rest [generic]* (slide take down lever)has broken.  And i can't get the broken part of the take down lever out to remove the slide. I took a pic of it next to one that isn't broken to give you an idea where it broke. Has this happened to anyone else that can give me an idea how they got it out? 

20210824_221640.jpg

20210824_222154.jpg

Edited by JGus

• JGus changed the title to Broken *thumb rest [generic]* on X5 Legion

The stock takedown lever is considered a wear part that needs to be replaced after 20k rounds. From my understanding the GoGuns takedown lever needs to be replaced at a more frequent interval than the stock takedown lever, I do not remember what that round count was but for some reason 5k comes to mind. 

This link has similar rounds count for different items on the P320 for items to be replaced as regular maintenance. I have seen similar numbers on a number of forums. Each time they mentioned they got the numbers from the Sig’s P320 Armorer’s course. 

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1092466

11 minutes ago, echotango said:

For future breakage, cut a flat on the end.  Then you can take it out with a screw driver.  

489568510_Screenshot_20201224-0845352.png.e7148d1849b84be789715d81f9ba4ebf.png

That's a great idea.  I will do that on future gas pedals.

17 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

From my understanding the GoGuns takedown lever needs to be replaced at a more frequent interval than the stock takedown lever, I do not remember what that round count was but for some reason 5k comes to mind. 

given the the price of them, I really hope this 5k number is wrong.

27 minutes ago, LMS said:

I really hope this 5k number is wrong

I do not remember where that number came from.  The part is definitely no as robust as the stock unit for reasons mentioned above.  Like I said, I do not remember the exact number, and that number may came from someone changing that part out at that round count to ensure it did not fail on them.  I am sure more people have personal experience with the part that can chime in.

I do know several posts have been created due to this issue.

Edited by Boomstick303

6 hours ago, kujo929 said:

Pull the guide rod forward with plyers or vice grips to take pressure off the part snd then rotate it until you can pop it out. 

Tried that several times.  It seems to have broke in a way i can't get it to rotate at all with the guide rod forward. I think i literally got an "unlucky" break.  Pun intended.

On 8/25/2021 at 5:47 PM, JGus said:

Tried that several times.  It seems to have broke in a way i can't get it to rotate at all with the guide rod forward. I think i literally got an "unlucky" break.  Pun intended.

When mine have broken, I’ve used a Dremel to do like echotango’s picture. Have to be careful but it’s possible to do this after a break. 
I like the idea of precutting in case they break 

21 hours ago, Merldizzle said:

When mine have broken, I’ve used a Dremel to do like echotango’s picture. Have to be careful but it’s possible to do this after a break. 
I like the idea of precutting in case they break 

Yeah, pre-cutting is a great idea. Def going to do that.

7 hours ago, Sorpe said:

I've had this happen a few times. I pound it out from left to right with a punch. Never caused damage and doesn't take much time. Does take a few hard whacks.

I wouldn’t recommend that. There is a small lip on the end of the takedown lever that keeps the lever from going too far in. While it is possible to bash it out, doing so will probably increase the slop in fit of the lever, effecting barrel lock up and accuracy.  

On 8/25/2021 at 4:02 PM, LMS said:

given the the price of them, I really hope this 5k number is wrong.

I’ve broken some at 5-6k, some at 15k. I’d say you can reasonably expect 10kish. However after 5k, it could go any time. 

10 hours ago, Rich406 said:

I’ve broken some at 5-6k, some at 15k. I’d say you can reasonably expect 10kish. However after 5k, it could go any time. 

That kinda sucks.  I wonder if the Armory Craft Sport Takedown Lever is any more robust?

On 8/28/2021 at 2:27 PM, Sorpe said:

I've had this happen a few times. I pound it out from left to right with a punch. Never caused damage and doesn't take much time. Does take a few hard whacks.

Thanks for the advice.  I was hitting on it so hard I was afraid i was going to damage the FCU.  The FCU could probably take more of a beating than I think it can.

On 8/29/2021 at 9:44 AM, LMS said:

That kinda sucks.  I wonder if the Armory Craft Sport Takedown Lever is any more robust?

AC Lever details...

Our take down levers are Machined as a Solid-One-Piece from hardened billet tool steel!