Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

320 mags for carry optics - 17 or 21 rounder?

Desk-Jockey

On 10/17/2021 at 4:10 AM, Bill H said:

I found with 21 rd mags and TTI extensions I can get 23 in 2 out 3 USA marked mags and only 22 in mags marked Italy.  Maybe that is why some have problems. Italian mags a hair tighter?

Are you using Grams spring and follower?

I get 23 in my 21 round mags, with the TTI baseplates, and Grams springs/followers.  They are also reloadable.

I get 23 in the Stoeger mags.  Also reloadable.

4 hours ago, Rimcrew said:

Are you using Grams spring and follower?

I get 23 in my 21 round mags, with the TTI baseplates, and Grams springs/followers.  They are also reloadable.

I get 23 in the Stoeger mags.  Also reloadable.

Correct. I bought a Gram spring and follower abs it must be catching on the baseplate. 🤷🏼‍♂️

34 minutes ago, Bill H said:

The 2 USA made mags I get 23 in do not have Grams kit. Just lucky. Guess I should try one. Does the slide lock back with the Grams follower?

Yes. Works correctly.  But I don’t see the point If you already get 23. Save your money. 

• 1 month later...

I have 12 21 rd. magazines all marked Made In Italy. I'm also using the TTI +1 Base Pad on all 12 and the Grams Spring/Follower in just 3 of them that will hold 23 rds.

When I installed the Grams Spring/Follower Kits in the 3 I loaded them with 20 rds. left them for a hour or so, added 2 rds. left them for a hour or so, added 1rd. and left them loaded with 23 for 2 days. All 3 are working great. I can reload with them but hardly do so.   

I have TTI base pads on all 3 of my Carry Optics pistols.  M&P CORE, Glock 34 MOS, and now Sig P320.  The Sig mags are much much much harder to get 23 rounds in the magazine.  The M&P is by far the easiest, with 23 rounds in the magazine, you can still compress the rounds another ~2mm, super easy to load.  The Glock is still way easier than the Sig, once there are 23 rounds in the magazine, you can just barely compress the rounds by maybe 1mm.  With the Sig magazines, I had to press harder than ever to get the 23rd round in.  I can get it to load in the P320 on a closed slide, surprisingly with ease, but I have not had a chance to see how well the gun functions with these mags loaded to 23 rounds.  Forgot to add these are 21 round magazine tubes with +1 TTI basepads.

Currently, I have 3 P320 mags loaded to 23 rounds just sitting in the safe, I hope this will help.

Edited by Butterpuc
added that these are 21 round Sig mags

8 hours ago, Butterpuc said:

I have TTI base pads on all 3 of my Carry Optics pistols.  M&P CORE, Glock 34 MOS, and now Sig P320.  The Sig mags are much much much harder to get 23 rounds in the magazine.  The M&P is by far the easiest, with 23 rounds in the magazine, you can still compress the rounds another ~2mm, super easy to load.  The Glock is still way easier than the Sig, once there are 23 rounds in the magazine, you can just barely compress the rounds by maybe 1mm.  With the Sig magazines, I had to press harder than ever to get the 23rd round in.  I can get it to load in the P320 on a closed slide, surprisingly with ease, but I have not had a chance to see how well the gun functions with these mags loaded to 23 rounds.  Forgot to add these are 21 round magazine tubes with +1 TTI basepads.

Currently, I have 3 P320 mags loaded to 23 rounds just sitting in the safe, I hope this will help.

Are your 320 mags Italian or USA ?

• 11 months later...

So, USPSA is low on my priority list these days, but how often are you at a  disadvantage with a stock 21 rounder?  I have to assume in the stock configuration, it is ultra reliable??  I have a bunch of 17 rounders for IDPA and several 21 rounders for work.  I was going to order another half dozen to be dedicated USPSA mags......

3 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

So, USPSA is low on my priority list these days, but how often are you at a  disadvantage with a stock 21 rounder?  I have to assume in the stock configuration, it is ultra reliable??  I have a bunch of 17 rounders for IDPA and several 21 rounders for work.  I was going to order another half dozen to be dedicated USPSA mags......

I use the stock 21 rounders most of the time.  I use a 21 rounder with an extension only on a stage where I'm not going to do a reload and the 2 extra rounds may be needed if I have a makeup.

14 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

So, USPSA is low on my priority list these days, but how often are you at a  disadvantage with a stock 21 rounder? 

I recently found out during a match with a stage that used 24 rounds.  Used a barney mag along with my Sig 21 round mags with TTI base pads and Grams springs.   (23 rounds loadable).

For those that have the necessary confidence, eliminating a reload definitely helps!  And they fit the gauge with no mods...........

🤔

1 hour ago, HOGRIDER said:

I recently found out during a match with a stage that used 24 rounds.  Used a barney mag along with my Sig 21 round mags with TTI base pads and Grams springs.   (23 rounds loadable).

For those that have the necessary confidence, eliminating a reload definitely helps!  And they fit the gauge with no mods...........

🤔

Stonebridge gun works supposedly has a 24+1 p320 mag that’s legal. 

I put Henning basepads on my 17 round x5 mags and am able to load 23 using an uplula fairly easily. Stripped the first round off fine. Did not try 23+1 to see if if would strip and feed fine but I will do that next range visit. 

On 11/10/2022 at 8:58 PM, fireman1776 said:

Stonebridge gun works supposedly has a 24+1 p320 mag that’s legal. 

That could come in handy on a 24 round stage. I wouldn't mind an extra round.

I have all my factory 17 rounders with TTI plus 5s. They work fine but I mainly run the 21s. I personally find that I grab them better. So if at all possible I start with a 17 and reload with a 21. Maybe it’s stupid but it’s me