Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

320 mags for carry optics - 17 or 21 rounder?

Desk-Jockey

Looking for input on mag builds for carry optics to go with a 320 x5 legion i am making into a new carry optics gun.   I have 3x factory 17 rounders and 3x 21 rounders.    

what is your preference for mag set ups?  

seems like the big question is to go with 21 round body with a plus 1-2 or 17 body with a plus 4-5?   

Reading a few other posts, I note a many folks are going 21 with TTI base pads and grams springs followers but it seems not everyone can get to 23 rounds with that mix.  

I also saw this offering from stoeger:

https://benstoegerproshop.com/sig-sauer-p320-23-round-magazine-kit/

I have 3  21rd with TTI basepads and grams gutts.  I can do 23 +1. The problem it is not reliable.  Especially one of the mags.  It works till it doesn't.  Usually at the match. I gave up on 23+1

I think the best thing about this platform is the 21rd. mags. Max knew this gun would be popular for CO, and designed a tube just for us. And so easy to get to 23 with just a base pad swap. I have 8 21rd. mags with TTI bases, stock guts. I get 23 reloadable in all of them. There is a thread going where guys are only getting 22 reloadable, and I admit the 23rd. round is tight, but with a LULA, it goes in. I have no issues loading it on the clock, and the gun will feed it reliably. YMMV.

Before I got the TTI bases, I used Springers with the Grams guts to get to 23. Those worked for me too. Charmed life I guess.

21 round tube, TTI plus 2 pads, stock guts, 23+1 semi reloadable but the 23rd is stiff to lock into the gun with slide forward. Same capacity with Grams Guts. Havent looked for stock mag springs but if the price is the same as grams I will probably just move to the grams just to match all around.

I use both the 17rd and the 21rd tubes for my Legion in Carry Optics. I get 23rds in both with similar configuration. The 21rd tubes seem to be the most consistent & easiest to feed IMO with the 17rd tubes taking a bit more tweaking & care to be 100% consistent. 

I run Grams S&F internals with the TTI +5 (as well as Henning +6) basepads on the 17rd tubes for 23 reloadable. 

I also run Grams S&F internals with the TTI +2 basepads on the 21rd tubes for 23 reloadable. 

On 8/25/2021 at 7:09 PM, sam_b said:

21 round tube, TTI plus 2 pads, stock guts, 23+1 semi reloadable but the 23rd is stiff to lock into the gun with slide forward. Same capacity with Grams Guts. Havent looked for stock mag springs but if the price is the same as grams I will probably just move to the grams just to match all around.

20 hours ago, RobE1010 said:

I use both the 17rd and the 21rd tubes for my Legion in Carry Optics. I get 23rds in both with similar configuration. The 21rd tubes seem to be the most consistent & easiest to feed IMO with the 17rd tubes taking a bit more tweaking & care to be 100% consistent. 

I run Grams S&F internals with the TTI +5 (as well as Henning +6) basepads on the 17rd tubes for 23 reloadable. 

I also run Grams S&F internals with the TTI +2 basepads on the 21rd tubes for 23 reloadable. 

Huh, sounds familiar, kinda like, this combo works. 

32 minutes ago, OPENB said:

Huh, sounds familiar, kinda like, this combo works. 

It's like the 21rnd tubes were designed to be uspsa legal and almost max capacity from the get go......

10 minutes ago, sam_b said:

It's like the 21rnd tubes were designed to be uspsa legal and almost max capacity from the get go......

👍🏻 Like Max had us in mind. Getting a Shadow 2 this week, wish they had similar magazines. 

Edited by OPENB

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2021 at 6:17 PM, sam_b said:

Shot a match in production this weekend while I wait for my SRO to arrive.   I preferred the 21 rounders vs 17 without a base plate.   More to grab onto for reloads.   I ordered one of the stoeger magazines and plan to try that out and decide from there.      I am thinking if I had a couple that I could load to 23 rounds and 2-3 21-rounders that I should be fine, although the 21 rounders are tough to find now for decent prices. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just bought the Grams follower/spring for Sig P320 X5 17 round mag with +5 TTI baseplate. I am getting less than 22 rounds with this setup. What is wrong?  Why am I getting led rounds?

I called Grams and they had me check some things but nothing came about it. Does anyone have any suggestions?  Seems like others with this setup are getting 23 rounds. 

6 hours ago, tl511 said:

I just bought the Grams follower/spring for Sig P320 X5 17 round mag with +5 TTI baseplate. I am getting less than 22 rounds with this setup. What is wrong?  Why am I getting led rounds?

I called Grams and they had me check some things but nothing came about it. Does anyone have any suggestions?  Seems like others with this setup are getting 23 rounds. 

I had the same problem. 

I think that it has something to do with the magazine extensions. I think that the follower is getting caught up in it. 

On a second note ,the 17 round magazines with the TTI 5-6 round extensions did not fit in the 140.1 mm magazine gauge. 

The 22 round magazines with the 1-2 round extensions did fit. 

So are you saying it didn’t work at all with the TTI +5 baseplates?  Is it perhaps that the machining isn’t quality enough to work on all of them?

also, are you saying those baseplates won’t qualify for 140mm for higher level comps?? I’ve never done beyond Level 1 matches that don’t check. That wouldn’t be good. 

7 hours ago, tl511 said:

I had this problem as well. The spring isn't fully seated at the bottom of the basepad, it's getting hung up. Try reassembling the mag.

9 hours ago, tl511 said:

I could not get the grams springs to work. Use the tti springs that came with the basepads. Works perfectly. You have to slightly modify the follower. Sell the new grams springs to your buddies that shoot limited or open. 

Edited by echotango

9 hours ago, tl511 said:

Thanks @echotango  I’m going to try that today!  So, did you get 23 rounds with the TTI springs and Grams follower?

Sounds like the 21 round mags works better. 

Yes. 23 with the grams and tti springs and 22 with fact followers.  I have 11 mags, 2 with grams. No need to put them in all mags. Only use them when needed. Most of the time 1rnd doesn't matter. 

Edited by echotango

Just now, echotango said:

Yes. 23 with the grams and tti springs and 22 with fact followers.  I have 11 mags, 2 with grams. No need to put them in all mags. Only use them when needed. Most of the time 1rnd doesn't matter. 

I tried swapping the springs. Did you modify the followers to get the springs to sit squarely or did you modify the follower?  

As of now, I may just wear in the TTI spring until it holds 23 reliably.  I can get 23 in it, just doesn’t function reliably currently. Maybe leaving 23 rounds in it for a few days might do the trick. 

56 minutes ago, tl511 said:

I tried swapping the springs. Did you modify the followers to get the springs to sit squarely or did you modify the follower?  

As of now, I may just wear in the TTI spring until it holds 23 reliably.  I can get 23 in it, just doesn’t function reliably currently. Maybe leaving 23 rounds in it for a few days might do the trick. 

Cut a groove where the spring goes around the corner.  That is it.  

thumbnail (1).jpg

Edited by echotango