Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 to 300 AAC Case Spin Issues

As I understand, then, you are trying to trim some  0.400" of case in one pass.  That's a heavy cut

Does it trim a 300 BO case without spinning?

As an experiment, can you run a few 223 cases through a 300 BO sizing die (spindle removed) and then use a Dremel (or such) cut-off to cut them to about 0.050" above finished length, then run them through the Dillon?

Too much case lube plus a dull cutter blade will result in spinning of the cases while cutting. I can size and trim a .223 case to .300 BO in one pass using my Bosch cutter and carbide trim die without any problems.

Thanks. The trimmer is a Dillon RT1500 and it’s brand new along with the cutter blade. All I can think is maybe too much lube. I’ll have to try again with less. I only use two pumps for about 200-250 cases. Maybe I’ll cut back on that. Fingers crossed! 

1 hour ago, cooper8172 said:

Thanks. The trimmer is a Dillon RT1500 and it’s brand new along with the cutter blade. All I can think is maybe too much lube. I’ll have to try again with less. I only use two pumps for about 200-250 cases. Maybe I’ll cut back on that. Fingers crossed! 

Let the cases sit for a few minutes to let the alcohol evaporate. There will be a thin film of case lube left on the cases to prevent them from getting stuck in the trim die yet not much for them to be spinning around.

I went another route instead. I’m chopping with a ZepReloading jig and then running through the trimmer. Perfect cases with no spin now. It adds another step but hey…. We are reloaders  and what’s one extra step LOL

Edited by cooper8172

I love my Zep chopper. Quickly learned the method to get the best results. Adding a shop vac hose right beside the cutting head caught 99% of the cut offs. Just noisy as heck so I wear ear plugs….Then I finish the cases off with a Tri-Way trimmer - which I hate because even with rubber dipped gloves those cases want to spin on occasion….