Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 Legion stock vs. enhanced

Stafford

Had a first hand conversation with a shooter who uses an X5 Legion in competition. Like me, he's relatively new to competition. I asked him if he had added a Grayguns trigger and he said no. He made the decision not to upgrade the trigger based on a conversation he had with another competitor who also shoots the X5 Legion. However, this other guy competes at a higher level and had done just about every possible upgrade to his X5. This other competitor's opinion, who does run the Grayguns trigger, was that it doesn't make that much of a difference. He did not recommend that the guy I spoke with add the Grayguns. 

My impression is that the comment not to add the trigger is based on the skill level of the shooter. If you have a whole lot of room to improve, then customizing the pistol will bring limited gains. And that the benefit of the trigger will only pay dividends once the skill level of the shooter is vastly improved. Is that a fair assessment?

Or is the Grayguns trigger really that much of an improvement over stock? I don't have the X5 Legion. Just wondering out loud.

It’s not required by any means. The stock Legion Trigger is just over 3 to 3.5 pounds stock. Plenty of people shoot heavier triggers with plenty of accuracy.  People who shoot glocks can shoot accurate and those are typically over 5 pounds from what I have heard. 

Some believe, if you start off with a heavier trigger it can help in the long run for if you choose to use a lighter trigger. I can see the logic in that.  When you train with a heavier trigger it requires a more fundamentally disciplined grip and trigger pull to shoot accurately at speed.   

In in my eyes when we slap the trigger a lighter trigger is better so the trigger pull is easier therefore less likely pull the gun off target while depressing the trigger. 

For a a new shooter especially one on a tight budget for most platforms used to shoot USPSA, a trigger job would be down the list of priorities. Money spent on ammo and time spent on dry fire training properly is far more valuable. 

In in the end to each their own. I persoanly try to keep everything similar when it comes to triggers. Flat trigger shoe with a trigger pull of 2-3 lbs.  This would include my pistols, PCC, and rifles (AR). 

• 4 months later...

I like the GG trigger. Helps a ton imo.

BUT, I think the point that was trying to be driven with your friend is basically to shoot the gun first and get used to it before changing anything. The trigger weight is least of his worries and its not holding back his ability being new. So yes, to your assessment.

The box stock x-5 legion seems to aim for a 4lb trigger. It is pretty smooth, but it has a pretty long travel for both activation and reset, and has a pretty significant amount of overtravel. A trigger with overtravel adjustment plus an apex trigger bar seriously cuts down on that. If you don't find the stock trigger a bit of a reach, you will likely find that setup a huge improvement. You can try to do the same with a trigger with pretravel and overtravel adjustment, but with too much pretravel dialed out, you eliminate the drop safety. The apex bar improves things while leaving the drop safety operating as it does form the factory (or really, really close, to tell 100% I'd need a cutaway gun and don't have one.).

I do think the out of the box trigger is a nice configuration for a total newbie looking to lean good trigger control through the whole sweep. But I suspect it will be more work to hit the same scores compared to a good trigger setup when you start running into that area where picking up a tenth is significant progress. 

If you want a lighter pull, you need the GG kit for the sear and springs.  For my personal gun I'm running an armory craft trigger, apex trigger bar, GG sear and intermediate trigger return spring and sear springs. Yup, I dumped about as much as you can into drop in parts to get to here.  Knowing what I do now, I'd probably try the apex bar with the pin sleeve for overtravel first. I suspect I'd wind up with that and a GG kit since it now has an overtravel screw.  I get about a 2.5lb trigger pull with pretty minimal trigger travel, greatly reduced takeup, and very little overtravel. It passes my personal safety test as well, which is being able to drag the gun fully loaded up with dummy rounds across carpet on an inclined plane without tripping the sear. It's intended to represent an oops while retrieving the gun form a dump bucket in 3-gun given the absence of an external safety. 

Not sure we're comparing apples to apples here. The OP mentions "the GG trigger" and changing just the trigger won't change the feel as much as the full GG Competition Trigger Kit installation. Does he mean just the trigger or full Competition Trigger kit? Personally, when I installed the Competition Trigger Kit it made a big difference and well worth the time and effort. I sold the trigger that came with the kit and installed an Armory Craft dual adjustable trigger. That's just my preference. 

Just an FYI...Armory Craft discourages installing their dual adjustable trigger with the Apex trigger bar. I never did clarify why they did, I just went with their recommendation. 

I can see both side of the coin here. If you haven't yet developed your fundamentals in competitive shooting, I agree this may not really offer the newer shooter any tangible gains. Mainly, at this first phase e.g. U to D to C, of competitive shooting should be focused on core fundamentals i.e. smooth fast draw, quick site-picture acquisition (calling your shot), movement (pausing not stopping), splits & transitions and stage walk-through/planning. As examples of these types of skills to work on. I recall, I didn't really begin to be concerned with faster trigger pull at that point moving from U to low C Class. It wasn't until I was a solid high-upper C Class ready to move into B and typically, to advance through B Class adding trigger speed in conjunction with shot cadence (given target distance) now becomes a core skill to master with the intent to achieve the needed speed gains. 

When I first began competing. I started with an out-of-the-box X5 Gen1. No mods what so ever. I trained & competed with it for about year and a half. It wasn't until fellow competitor (typical scenario with sharing info) mentioned GG comp trigger upgrade it in our conversation. And offered to let me dry fire his X5. I can say there was a significant difference and I knew this was the next logical step in my competitive progress. 

Since then, I have completely upgraded my X5 Legion and it serves me well. 

I just finished a mod & stippling on my Sig X5 Legion. I think it looks great, but there are a few imperfections given this was my first go at performing mods. Overall, I am happy with the results and learned a ton for my next mod build. It's painted with mate black duracoat and stainless-steel accents i.e. take down level, mag release and the GG Silve adjustable straight trigger. 

>Mods:

- Barstol stainless steel match-grade barrel

- Gray Guns Competition trigger upgrade w/Silver adjustable straight trigger

- Gray Guns Offset Extended Magazine Release

- GoGuns *thumb rest [generic]*

- Sig Romeo3 XL Red Dot Optic/6MOA

- DPM Recoil Reduction System (Brass colored spring)

- Grip module has been smoothed down: deeper trigger guard undercut and both sides of the dove tail. 

- Extreme stipple grip

- Willson Combat (rounded) Slide Release 

- Sig 15 rnd magazine sanded & polished to stainless steel finish coated with clear high-gloss duracoat with Taran Tactical Blue extended base plate 

Some of the items are purely cosmetic and others offer functionality

800990548_MyX5Mod(3).thumb.jpg.5ba4cce00ab5719624f0b46f111e37a8.jpg

Edited by StartSignal