Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP GMR 15 Failure to feed

I recently purchased a JP GMR-15 and love the gun - when it shoots. I am on the second one with the first not making it past two shots before the bullpen ended up vertical and pushed into the case. I was shooting Blazer 124 Brass which worked fine with any of my other guns. Took it back and then gave me another gun - that works well with the Glock factory mags but the SGM mags for example experience the same problem usually after two or three shots. When I use the factory Glock mags it seems to work. So, is this normal for this gun and it is just this fussy? Have not tried any other types but with different ammo - Federal 115, Remington etc plus the Blazer I get the same issue. Again short a seven stage match on Saturday and lost a ton of time on a stage with one of those mags - went to the Glock factory and seemed to work. Again, is this normal for this particular gun? I like it and it shot well for me other than the feed issue. Any thought and/or suggestions. With what I invested I should would like to have it work.

You seem to have answered your own question.  Most semi-auto firearms depend on a quality magazines to feed reliably.  I don't know what a SGM magazine is, but apparently the JP likes Glock mags.  So use Glock mags.  I have a Colt pattern PCC that likes the black follower magazines vs. the orange followers magazines.  I bet you can guess which ones I own now!!

12 hours ago, gunshrink said:

I recently purchased a JP GMR-15 and love the gun - when it shoots. I am on the second one with the first not making it past two shots before the bullpen ended up vertical and pushed into the case. I was shooting Blazer 124 Brass which worked fine with any of my other guns. Took it back and then gave me another gun - that works well with the Glock factory mags but the SGM mags for example experience the same problem usually after two or three shots. When I use the factory Glock mags it seems to work. So, is this normal for this gun and it is just this fussy? Have not tried any other types but with different ammo - Federal 115, Remington etc plus the Blazer I get the same issue. Again short a seven stage match on Saturday and lost a ton of time on a stage with one of those mags - went to the Glock factory and seemed to work. Again, is this normal for this particular gun? I like it and it shot well for me other than the feed issue. Any thought and/or suggestions. With what I invested I should would like to have it work.

The GMR is not fussy. You can shoot darn near any 9mm out of it and it will perform as long as the magazine is feeding the rounds properly. Stick with GLOCK-Brand-GLOCK magazines and you will enjoy flawless feeding. 

Those SGM magazines that don't feed need to be thrown away. $1700 rifle, $10 in ammo (33 round mag) per magazine. Glock mags will last years. Don't skimp on mags!

I use 17 rnd. Gen3 and Gen 4 mags with Dawson base pads (classifiers and speed shoots), factory 33 rnd., factory 33 with TF +10 (41 rnd), factory 33 with TF +20 Goliath, and 40 rnd ETS.  The only issues I've ever had is with the ETS mags and polymer coated bullets.  This is a well documented issue here and on other forums.  They run great with jacketed and copper plated/washed bullets.  The Glock based mags don't care what bullets are loaded in them.

Well thanks for all the help and/or suggestions from the base of wisdom. Last night 5 stage match, only with factory mags and not a problem at all. Did not try my ETS mags but will give that a range test this weekend. Two more factory 33 glocks in this weekend and I will have enough for now. Thanks again - that's why this forum is such a great asset. Battle hardened shooters.

Sounds like problem solved.  For what it's worth, I've tried cheap mags - the really cheap ones - $10 and they look identical.  I changed the spring to a Wolfe +10% and they function flawlessly.  Still don't trust it for a match.  OEM only for me when it counts.  Others have used ETS - seem to work well. 

Phil 

Gock and ETS work great on my GMR-15.  Like the folks have say, check the springs and followers with the cheap mags.

Keep in mind...Some mags could give you some issues with the mag extensions (Taran/TF) depending on the ammo you use.  Ammo could get stock or not be smooth to transitioning between the extension and the mag.

Additionally, for best results make sure to tune the buffer...2 Tungsten/3 Steel or 3 Tungsten/2 Steel have been some of the two combinations that have worked for me with factory ammo.  

Good luck!

Edited by cperazza