Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel reactive targets

Hey everyone, 

First post, only have enough money for a nice set of reactive steel targets and was wondering what would benefit me the most for competition practice.

My options are variable, and i know they would teach different skill sets, and down the line i will hope to get others. 

I can go with a 6-8 plate line with manual reset. 

6-8 plate texas star

6-8 plate competition tree

I was leaning towards the tree as it was the cheaper option and would let me compete against myself and others, but i would like to hear other opinions. 

Thanks much! 

Sean

Welcome,

but first of all, when you start a post with “I only have enough money for”, you are really not providing any useful information at all, so your question becomes a bit silly. If you told us what your budget was you could get much better answers. Reactive steel targets could cost anywhere from $8 - $8,000 dollars. 

Is there a specific competition you want to practice for?  Regardless of everything else, forget about the Texas star. After the 2nd time shooting it you’ll be done because you won’t want to spend 5 minutes going down range to set it up only to come back and shoot it in just a few seconds. 

There may also be a lot of different vendors out there that you are not aware of, so it’s possible that for the amount of money it would cost for 1 plate rack from vendor A, you might be able to get 2 plate racks from vendor B. 

So, give some serious thought to how much money you have to spend, and then you may be surprised at the options some of the great folks on this forum might come up with. 

Personally, when COVID struck early on, and I knew my kids would be home a lot, I spent $200 on a rimfire dueling tree. It was a great investment. We shot the crap out of that tree all hear.  It broke down easy and was very convenient to transport back and forth from the range, so we used it a lot. 

in addition to a budget, what do you plan to shoot the steel with?  Rimfire?  Center fire pistol?  Rifle?  Does it need to be light and portable so you can bring it to/from the range?  Or is this for a backyard range where portability doesn’t matter?

your original question is like asking someone which gun you should buy. We need more info to give you some useful answers. 

And, welcome to the forum. This place is awesome!!!

-Cuz