Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass is coming out of resizing die a it wierd.

engineerjet

I've been reloading for years and Im helping my friends get into reloading as well. So with a brand new set of lee dies, I notice that the casings are coming out of the resizing die like this. I dont remember seeing these marks when i first started reloading. Is this normal?

PXL_20210822_011557597 (1).jpg

That almost looks like a weird type of crimping that was done on the loaded rounds. Were these factory loaded rounds to begin with?

Should check the die also. 

Edited by Farmer

Reminds me of H&K chamber, which has longitudinal grooves.

Agree, look inside sizing die, should be a smooth cylinder, no grooves. Then look at the cases that have not been resized, as they may have those grooves already in the cases. Finally, ask your friend where those cases came from. Range pickup, fired in his weapon, purchased?

Odds are once resized, those cases will function fine, but strongly recommend you use a case gauge. I case gauge routinely, saves headaches, especially during a match.

Mark

10 hours ago, engineerjet said:

I notice that the casings are coming out of the resizing die like this. I dont remember seeing these marks when i first started reloading. Is this normal?

If the marks were not there before you sized . The die is defective.

I've had similar when sizing brass I bought, that was cleaned using steel pins. The steel pins makes the edge of the brass with little burrs on it. And if the case mouth is slightly flared when it enters the sizing die, it scratches the mouth of the reloading die. Once I realized what was happening, I ran the rest of the brass through my tumbler using the regular media. It smoothed up the burred edges of the brass. I also cleaned up the mouth of the sizing die.

Also, your brass does not look too clean either. You may be having debris left on the cases, dig and drag along the brass as it enters the die.

Edited by Postal Bob

You typically see this when the dies is dirty or corroded. And accumulated brass can also have this effect.

Like others have mentioned, clean it out and polish it if needed first.