Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 race holster

inertia

Looking for advice on anyone that has experience with full race holsters for round trigger guard 1911s. Yes I know that's not single stack legal, I shoot multigun. I think this may be a thing in IPSC though. I use a everglades for my 2011 but it's no go for round trigger guard. I see ghost makes one, anyone tried this or another?

I used to shoot Paras that had the same sort of curved trigger guard. I tried Ghost and DAA Racemaster and CR Speed with mixed results. The DAA has a "1911" insert that might work. For the DAA, the fore and aft thickness of the trigger guard is critical. Saul actually sent me a couple under cut trigger inserts that I had to custom fit. And to make matters worse, I had 2 guns with different F&A thicknesses! Ghost worked but the nylon spacer screws had to be just right or the thing would wiggle around. And they wore quickly. The CR Speed holster with the muzzle platform was stable but you could still pull through the lock if you really tried. My advice for multigun: Use a pouch holster and you won't have to worry about it!

Good luck,

Chuck

The problem I found with 1911 trigger guards is they are mostly different dimensions ( that info came from Saul @ DAA). At one point I had 3 different 1911's 1 Springfield loaded .45, an STI Spartan 9mm and a Nighthawk 9mm. None of them would fit in the same holster, I went through 4 different versions and ended up back with a Comptac International.

Tried the JR micro, the DAA racer, and a Schuman Hoepner variant, and the DAA racemaster. None of them held the guns as well as I liked, would they have fallen out, probably not but there was just too much wobble for me to be happy with them. 

Edited by terrydoc