Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3K

terrydoc

Hi Guy's 

Im from Australia and have just picked up a Stoeger M3K shotgun. Ours are a straight pull design ie: basically a pump action using the bolt knob. I've noticed the semi auto versions I've seen in youtube video's have a light bolt racking pull on them, ours are reasonably heavy. I wondering if the semi auto version has a lighter recoil spring or they just wear in after use, can anyone tell me if lighter recoil springs are available?  

Hi Guy's 

Im from Australia and have just picked up a Stoeger M3K shotgun. Ours are a straight pull design ie: basically a pump action using the bolt knob. I've noticed the semi auto versions I've seen in youtube video's have a light bolt racking pull on them, ours are reasonably heavy. I wondering if the semi auto version has a lighter recoil spring or they just wear in after use, can anyone tell me if lighter recoil springs are available?  

Stoeger%20M3000%20MK3-800x800.JPG

I don't know a lot about Semi auto's but it returns the bolt under spring pressure, so its like racking the gun for every shot if that explains it. There is a spring around the mag tube and is labelled recoil spring but the manual is not straight pull specific, its the  M3000 manual.  

We can't have semi auto shotguns or rifles or pump action shotguns here, but pump action rifles are ok as long as they're not an AR (Troy PAR) look alike as our Customs wont let them in.  But there are a couple of companies making straight pull and pump action AR style rifles here for us but are pretty expensive.  

Edited by terrydoc

• 4 months later...

Had an interesting thing occur with this Stoeger on the weekend (haven't had the opportunity to shoot it prior) Fired initial 10 rounds a month ago with no issues,

Sunday went to a "3 gun" match and used the Stoeger first 5 rounds were fine after that on letting the bolt return it wouldn't pick up any rounds out of the mag tube. Racked it a few times and no good, chamber was empty so went to the safe area to try and sort the issue with out any luck. One of the older guys turned up and had a look and it was the bolt release lever sticking and stopping the rounds coming out, had to press it internally and all the rounds exited obviously under  spring tension. Tried it later on thinking it may have been a one off but same thing, so packed up the gun for the day, it's now on it's wat to the importer for warranty work.

Has anyone had this or similar happen?

I'll try to explain what occurred, so prior to pressing the bolt release (under the ejection port) the release is parallel with the receiver, once pressed it releases the bolt like it's supposed to but the release button stays slanted in towards the receiver (which blocks the mag tube assuming its meant to so only 1 round comes out at a time) there's no play in the button, however if you press near the screw that holds it in place it under tension goes back to it's original position but if you release finger pressure it tilts back towards the receiver.

• 2 months later...
On 8/19/2021 at 5:15 PM, terrydoc said:

Hi Guy's 

terrydoc, I got my M3K about a month ago and have been thinking the same, and as a fellow Aussie its hard to find any parts for these. Something you could try is locking the bolt back, which would compress the recoil spring, then leave it in the safe for a while which would soften the spring up a bit (happy to be told that's incorrect though), its a rather heavy action as standard, also have you polished the mag tube that the spring rides on? This will help smooth up the action a bit but not necessarily make it lighter. One of MOA's light recoil springs would be a great addition, along with a trigger spring kit. Looking into the possibility of getting that sent to Australia, its taken a lot of research to make sure its not breaking any laws, but now just need to get it sent.

On 3/15/2022 at 11:17 PM, BROWNY said:

terrydoc, I got my M3K about a month ago and have been thinking the same, and as a fellow Aussie its hard to find any parts for these. Something you could try is locking the bolt back, which would compress the recoil spring, then leave it in the safe for a while which would soften the spring up a bit (happy to be told that's incorrect though), its a rather heavy action as standard, also have you polished the mag tube that the spring rides on? This will help smooth up the action a bit but not necessarily make it lighter. One of MOA's light recoil springs would be a great addition, along with a trigger spring kit. Looking into the possibility of getting that sent to Australia, its taken a lot of research to make sure its not breaking any laws, but now just need to get it sent.

5 hours ago, terrydoc said:

thats the hardest part no one wants to send stuff. No havent polished the tube yes but may do in the future

If it's a real M3k and has the black shiny finish on the magazine tube do not polish or remove the black coating. If there is any sharp edges inside the action bar that rides on the tube knock them down and smooth them out but thats it

Edited by louu