Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer seating problem

Cowguy

I’m loading 45 acp on my Dillon 650 with large pistol primers and things where great, then suddenly I am getting 20 percent proud primers. I have been through the manual, my shell plate is stable when I push the handle ahead the punch is high enough to seat a primer properly without a load on it. When I’m loading brass that does not seat easily they are proud,the proud primers have a dent from the punch, any ideas are appreciated. I’ve loaded a bunch of this, I can’t figure out what has changed,Dillon guy says maybe a cracked crank. I’ve laid on it and can’t see a crack.

It is mixed brass, WCC, RP and Winchester 45 auto are giving me the most fits. I don’t have a swags gauge but my large swagger fits in the pocket easily. Some brass primes easily and I can feel the primer land others it’s like I’m forcing it. I fired about 150 of these in practice this morning and all rounds fed and fired without incident, so they are tight.

3 hours ago, tires2burn said:

When you feel a primer not wanting to seat, don't seat it, remove the case and use your case deburring tool to bevel the pocket. Reinsert it to the primer station and see if it seats easier. 

This^^^ Also take one of those rounds that you fired, de-cap it and see if the pocket edges are sharp or rounded. Make sure your plate is indexing properly too. Could be off a little and the primer is starting crooked on one edge. Had that happen on my Lee, it would snag the edge and seat the primer at an angle leaving the impression of the punch on the primer.  Generally the impression was not centered.  

So I’ve de-caped a draft of them, ran my Lyman hand reamer in them and it seemed to fit in the pocket. The press is working better now for no reason. Me thinks there was an old primer stuck somewhere I couldn’t find because the problem started suddenly and stopped suddenly without any intervention from me that mattered. I’ve got level 2 matches the next 2 weekends so I hope the thing is over it. Thanks for all the ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

Look at the bottom side of your priming punch.  There's a sheet metal "punch support bracket"  that the punch rides on when seating the primers.  That bracket can wear and/or move.  I fixed mine by putting a small shim under that bracket to restrict the punch's downward movement.  VMMV.