Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How far to travel to train live fire?

Stafford

How far would you travel to go to an outdoor range that allows draws from holster, and movement around the bay to train for USPSA? Let's say you're going to try and get one live fire session in per week in addition to dry fire and matches.

I don't know how far I would drive if I wanted an outdoor range.  I own my land 10 minutes from my house and have a range permanently setup there with steel hanging and a plate rack.  If I want to go to a shooting range that I'm a member of then I have to go an additional 10 minutes.  I rarely go there other than matches because then I have to haul gear there to shoot.

12 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I can't see how shooting matches can be productive practice.  In order to practice something you need repetition, otherwise improvement will come very slowly.

depends on where you are in the development curve. after 8-9 years of shooting, i find that I don't need as much live fire as I used to, especially in a dot division. I can shoot 50-100 rounds of live fire a week, and make significant improvements when coupled with 30 mins or so of daily dryfire.

but wutever, I live 12 mins from the range that I am VP of, so I live fire whenever I want..... but I do much much much more dryfire.

5 hours ago, motosapiens said:

depends on where you are in the development curve. after 8-9 years of shooting, i find that I don't need as much live fire as I used to, especially in a dot division. I can shoot 50-100 rounds of live fire a week, and make significant improvements when coupled with 30 mins or so of daily dryfire.

but wutever, I live 12 mins from the range that I am VP of, so I live fire whenever I want..... but I do much much much more dryfire.

You missed the point completely

19 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I can't see how shooting matches can be productive practice.  In order to practice something you need repetition, otherwise improvement will come very slowly.

I use some local matches as opportunities to try things, but practice is something I do elsewhere.

i dry fired everyday from when i started to about B class. 

After that I stopped and see no difference in the gains made.

Pushing into GM has become more about a mindset than actual skills. 

By time you hit M you should know how to load a mag or pick up the dot, your grip should be consistent and all the small things you 

would normally work on in dry fire should already be mechanical for you. 

Now I mean just making GM is about mental game. Performing consistently at GM level is where continued dry fire practice will help

4 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

You missed the point completely

No I didn't.

the repetition comes in dry-fire. with the right mindset you need very little live-fire to progress, so the match can serve as confirmation of the repetition you've done away from the range.

35 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

No I didn't.

the repetition comes in dry-fire. with the right mindset you need very little live-fire to progress, so the match can serve as confirmation of the repetition you've done away from the range.

This isn't about you and your methods.

23 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I use some local matches as opportunities to try things, but practice is something I do elsewhere.

Matches generally are practice in the sense that I'm practicing match management or performing in match conditions. But like you to really practice a skill I need rep's. I do a lot of reps in dry fire but some stuff needs to be done on the range. 

I've always lived close to a range, currently there is one between where I work and where I live. So I just stop there on my way home from work. But if I didn't live close to a range I'd probably adjust my training based on the distance. Driving a hour each way I'd probably only practice on weekends, and I'd try to get there first thing in the morning so I don't feel like I'm killing the whole day. I'd probably increase the round count of my sessions too. Instead of two sessions at 100-150 rounds I'd go to one a week at 300. Or every other week at 500. This IMO wouldn't be ideal, but it would be better than nothing. 

I already try to make my sessions as efficient  as I can.  When I get to the range I know what I'm going to do, my mags are already loaded so all I need to do is hang targets and shoot. I use a paster gun to speed up resetting, and some times I only paste shots that aren't A's. I can do a 150 round session and mix in live and dry fire and be in and out including setup tear down and picking up my brass in about 30 min. 

If I was single with no family I might approach it differently.

I live 15 min each way from my private club. I shoot pistol league there every Tuesday and use that for my stage practice. I try to get out every other week to work on specific things but having a young family makes that hard. Sometimes I just try to sneak out for a long lunch or take an early Friday and get out there. If I lived any further away it would make that hard.

3 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Matches generally are practice in the sense that I'm practicing match management or performing in match conditions. But like you to really practice a skill I need rep's. I do a lot of reps in dry fire but some stuff needs to be done on the range.

You get it

11 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

This isn't about you and your methods.

It's about whatever I want to make it about. You can post about what works for you. Other people can post about what works for them. If you don't like my posts, don't read them (or just dq me from the next match you work for having a different opinion than you, lulz).

I live 10 mins from the range where I am VP, so it's worth it to me to go do the 50-80 rounds of live fire I really need to work on recoil control and shot-calling. If I lived an hour from the range, I would probably do that significantly less, but not shoot significantly fewer matches.

Edited by motosapiens

I belong to a private club in Lakeland, Tn which is a suburb of Memphis.  The range is 11 miles from my house.  It is a great range and I am lucky to be able to have this range as close as it is.