Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spare Parts?

dhain

Do you keep any spare parts in your range bag?  I’m shooting a 627 and wondering if I should keep any extra parts in my range bag for competition.  I currently keep an extra firing pin and some spare fibers.  I would consider a backup gun but I haven’t been finding anything for what I would consider a reasonable price.

A backup is always best but I would say a firing pin, firing pin spring, and yoke screw should cover 99% of it, I have seen a couple broken firing pins and springs (firing pin springs cause weird issues with intermittent lockups) break and yoke screws come loose with cylinders falling out, other than that and general parts coming loose the rest of the issues tend to be more catastrophic.

I have had that exact lockup problem!

My cylinders won't close when the firing pin breaks. I have to push the broken tip in for the cylinder to clear.

I carry FPs and some tools.

I bring a spare gun to the bigger matches.

I haven't picked up a second gun yet, so I carry a ton of tools and parts: cylinder releases (I'm running a custom design made from plastic, and it seems pretty durable, but I wouldn't want to trust a match to that), springs, an extra firing pin and firing pin springs...

Hoping to find a second gun over the winter, or maybe in 2022, but until then, spare parts it is.

Extra FP, FP Spring, Cylinder Yoke Screw, Strain Screw I know will give me ignition, that little stud screw for the rear sight, maybe another proper FS if you have a Classic FS (never lost one in a match, but had one come out in practice).

Dont know if it was mentioned already, but extra rebound springs and extra hand springs. 

Those things have a tendency to go flying into alternate dimensions when you start taking parts out at the safe table. 

44 minutes ago, alecmc said:

Dont know if it was mentioned already, but extra rebound springs and extra hand springs. 

Those things have a tendency to go flying into alternate dimensions when you start taking parts out at the safe table. 

Yep, but I figure if I have to go to that detail.  I'd probably be better off begging someone to use their back up, if I didn't have one.

But then Murphy is always looking over our shoulder.

• 4 weeks later...