Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Re-holstering during a CoF

matteekay

11 hours ago, matteekay said:

Is there any rule that prevents a shooter from re-holstering during a course of fire? 7.G explicitly legalizes it for PPDS but I don't see anything allowing/disallowing it for everyone else. 

DQ if done in a Tunnel. 10.5.4

As long as the safety is applied during COF. I can see if someone needs 2 hands to climb up/down stairs, or other challenging structures. In a COF I think holstering your firearm will cost you time. Is there a particular reason you have this question? Someone on your squad did actually holster their gun during COF?

4 minutes ago, Lastcat said:

DQ if done in a Tunnel. 10.5.4

As long as the safety is applied during COF. I can see if someone needs 2 hands to climb up/down stairs, or other challenging structures. In a COF I think holstering your firearm will cost you time. Is there a particular reason you have this question? Someone on your squad did actually holster their gun during COF?

I think the OP is talking about IDPA. 😉

13 hours ago, matteekay said:

Is there any rule that prevents a shooter from re-holstering during a course of fire? 7.G explicitly legalizes it for PPDS but I don't see anything allowing/disallowing it for everyone else. 

I see nothing in the rulebook.

What would be/was the reason to reholster during the COF?

3 hours ago, RePete said:

I see nothing in the rulebook.

What would be/was the reason to reholster during the COF?

We had a stage with a non-shooting action (apparently, also allowed) that involved dragging a dummy to a designated area. The stage description explicitly forbade re-holstering. As someone who had to SO it, I actually would have preferred a safe re-holster vs all of the times people nearly flagged themselves trying to do it weak-handed, but wasn't clear on the legality. 

There is nothing in the rule book explicitly forbidding reholstering during a string.  Unsafe actions are of course a DQ. There is precedent in multi-string Courses of Fire for holstering between strings, so any criticism must consider that fact.  If we’re allowed to run backwards with a gun over our shoulder pointing down range for muzzle safety, it seems counterintuitive that holstering the gun would be considered less safe!

Along with the unsafe action consideration, drawing a firearm from the holster except under supervision of an SO during the course of fire or other specific stated circumstances  is one of the examples for a DQ. But the course of fire starts with “range is hot…” and ends with “range is clear”.  So 2.2.E makes it legal And an SO would be hard-pressed to defend penalty or DQ if the shooter holstered and then re-drew the gun as long as it was done safely, during the string.  Some shooters have jumped the timer and drawn before the beep but that’s a PE or FP, not a DQ.

I have seen this happen at club matches but it’s never come up at a sanctioned (Tier 2+) match.   I’m sure some well intentioned but imperfectly educated SO has levied a PE or DQ at some point for this…