Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Magazine Help

jschweg

First off, I'm pretty new to the 2011 platform but am aware of the magazine weirdness that sometimes occurs. I have 6 brand new mbx 10 round 140mm mags in 40 (I live in a limited 10 state). All of the springs have been broken in.

All of them feed and function fine, which in general is all I really care about but I want to reach some level of consistency between all of them. 2/6 work exactly as expected. The other 4 either don't lock back on empty, closes the slide and chambers a round as soon as I insert a mag, or closes the slide when I drop an empty magazine.

I don't care much about the lockback issue, but the other two things bug me. All of the feed lips at the front measure in the range that mbx says they are supposed to be.

What bullet are you using and how long are you makin it? 

Witch followers are you using? 

What gun? 

You might not get a lot of responses for that exact magazine and I'm not sure if the 10 round one takes the same follower as the regular style mag. That might be the kicker being the 10 round mag. Did you try calling mbx and and asking him? His CS use to be s#!t, maybe he's gotten better. 

I'm having really good luck with the new atlas followers in the Gen 2 sti mags. I'm not sure if they fit in those mags but if you want to go that route call atlas and ask if they fit in those mags. 

I'm using a 180gn flat point coated lead bullet loaded to 1.2 in a PT Honcho. The mags have the standard non-competiton lock back MBX follower. To my knowledge the followers aren't any different in the 10 rounders.

I haven't emailed MBX about it yet, but probably will on Monday just to see what they think. It's just wierd that 2 of them work perfectly in every way and the other 4 are a bit all over the place with basically the same dimensions.

A quick way to eliminate variables is to move the follower(s) that work to mags that don’t. If changing the follower fixes the issue, then focus on tweaking the 4 followers that are misbehaving or get different ones. 

So I think I see the problem, don't really know what to do about it. When I cycle some dummy rounds through the pistol, after the last round, the slide locks but the slide stop isn't going all the way up into the notch in the slide, and it's being held back by a very small corner of the slide stop. I'm thinking that under firing conditions it's just not enough to grab it and when I put a new mag in, the vibration just knocks it loose.

• 2 weeks later...