Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spring tester

orangeman711

Built one similar to the commercial designs.   Tried the cheap electronic scale,  nope.

Went to a spring scale with a sliding max indicator.  Better.

Ended up machining a vertical compression tester that uses a electronic platform scale.

Mark on the rod at 1.625".     Not perfect, but it will repeat within 2 oz.

Amazing how far off some recoil springs are from the label.

• 2 weeks later...

When I get springs usually they are unequal length so its harder to test but within a half pound the difference is negligible to me behind the gun. I do however notice when 2 10lb springs are both brand new but one is shorter do to a different brand. Gun feels a little bit different at the beginning of the recoil impulse.

On 8/14/2021 at 8:58 AM, open17 said:

Built one similar to the commercial designs.   Tried the cheap electronic scale,  nope.

Went to a spring scale with a sliding max indicator.  Better.

Ended up machining a vertical compression tester that uses a electronic platform scale.

Mark on the rod at 1.625".     Not perfect, but it will repeat within 2 oz.

Amazing how far off some recoil springs are from the label.

What spring scale did you use?

I have a digital but it is too difficult to get a steady reading.

• 2 weeks later...

built one this morning, stainless and aluminium, uses a digital trigger pull gauge  with a positive stop you can move, so you can check max and find the rates, anyway  it appears accurate to about +/-  1 oz on 15 tests.  first thing I learned is stick to well known springs and chuck the off brand in the bench box ....lmao  explains a .2 grain powder difference I had in cycling slides on 2 exact guns  springs measured 1 pound 1 oz different ( both marked the same from same vendor/brand)  anyway more stuff to check now 

Edited by Sinister4

• 2 weeks later...