Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canting Pistol for 1 Hand Shooting?

Smitty79

When I started action shooting, shooting Production, I was trained to cant the gun, particularly for support hand shooting, to get the sight in front of my dominant eye.     I am not cross dominant.

I now shoot Carry Optics.   I shoot both eyes open.    if the dot is in front of my face, the bullet goes where I want it to go unless my trigger press sucks.

Are there recoil management or trigger press advantages to canting the gun with one hand?

I was a solid B shooter until work and real life got in the way.    I'm now a retired C working my way back to B.

If we were shooting 1 bullet per target I can see an argument for shooting one handed canted.  We are typically putting 2 on the majority of targets we are engaging, for this reason I train shooting the gun upright for more predictable sight tracking (irons or dot) moving vertically.  This also gives the shooter a better chance of hitting the A zone with the second shot (on most target presentations), versus a canted position of the gun where the muzzle travels into the c zone earlier in the recoil movement of the gun. 

At the end of the day its always up to user preference.  The person should try both methods and figured out to which works best for them.  Obviously both methods should be tested on the clock.  I have played with canted position of the gun in one handed shooting and really did not see any plus side to it.  With that I said many shooters better than I use this method.  

I recently had a match that included shooting freestyle at 35 yards and then reloading moving to the other box (also 35 yards) firing 6 shots strong hand. I went to the range and shooting at about 30 yards I had a much better result with the gun canted a little.  We were on a stage with our next stage being that stage and were informed the stage had been thrown out. Never got a chance to shoot it. Just a small test for what it's worth.

I don't know if canting a red equipped gun makes much difference in recoil control. BUT... IMO ... with iron sights shooting support (weak) hand, a slight cant towards the dominant eye can have a positive affect on quicker sight alinement. 

On 8/14/2021 at 9:05 AM, jim vaughan said:

If your bore to dot distance is large (mine is 60 mm), then it pays to cant the gun when used in the left hand so that the dot aligns with my master right eye. Thus cant for weak hand, vertical for strong hand is my preference.

At long distances what sort of impact offset are you seeing with the gun canted? The bullet definitely isn't going to hit where the dot is. That's a good reason to not cant it with a huge height over bore like you have

On 8/13/2021 at 9:38 AM, Smitty79 said:

Are there recoil management or trigger press advantages to canting the gun with one hand?

At hand gun distances the cant of the gun hardly effects point of impact worth worrying about. In a rifle at distance it is a huge factor.

However to the question; the only way you will know is to go and practice with different angles. Try to do it at simulated competition speed and pressure (use a timer) and you will find what works best for you. There is no "one fits all" answer.

I agree, there is not really a best way, and a specific technique is often shooter, context and equipment related/driven. The big benefit of NOT canting the gun is that the sight picture remains exact to both hands shooting and the recoil with sights/dot movement to zero too. Test both to see actual results in points and time.

8 hours ago, jim vaughan said:

If one zeros at say 25m, then the bullet impact will be no different to shooting with a vertical gun.

You clearly don't understand ballistics then

The impact difference is mathematically and practically demonstrable.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

1 hour ago, SGT_Schultz said:

You clearly don't understand ballistics then

The impact difference is mathematically and practically demonstrable.

True, but by the time you jerk the trigger with your weak hand, it won't make much difference at handgun distances.  LOL!

I don't cant the gun because I can't get my elbow in behind the gun.

Nolan