Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mr. Bulletfeeder 223 dropper giving me fits..

Setting up my recently purchased RL1100.  Having a hell of a time with Hornady 55 FMJBT, collator working perfectly but the bullet drop will not return to down position after releasing a bullet.  No trouble dropping doubles or anything like that, the dropper only comes back down maybe .020-.030 when the case is withdrawn.  It's not side loaded by the feed tube or any other physical problem, dropper under no tension etc.  It actually seems to 'work' okay, just not returning to full down position. Pushing down with my fingers as I cycle a case through it has no effect, it stops solid, like the ball bearings are grabbing the next boattail or something. 

I spoke to DAA, they suggested I try the upper set of holes and groove, no improvement.  Also have the DAA spring assist to pull the dropper back down, but it locks solid after it releases a bullet then drops down .020-.030".  Adjusting the body up or down has no effect.  Any ideas??

Thanks..Dan

Sounds like there may be a burr or some rough area inside the tube? I would try it by hand and see if it is smooth?  Going up and down. If you are using the spring assists, it should come down all of the way!  JD

Works up and down smoothly by hand until bullets are introduced into it. I did a loading session with it and it worked flawlessly even though it's not returning down all the way, so I'm not going to worry about it right now. I also tested Hornady 55 SP flat base and they did not exhibit this problem, only the BT bullets. 

If the answer to my question is yes and when empty it returns all the way down.

You may be on the edge of adjustment. If it works as is I would load ammo and not

Worry to much about it.

I had the same issue on mine. Also loading on an 1100. Using Hornady 62gr FMJBT. Take the drop tube out. You can do this with the die on the press or off.

You should have only the drop tube in one hand with the ball bearings removed of course. Drop a bullet thru by hand. Now do it with an upside down bullet. Now flip the drop tube and do the same thing as if the bullets were feeding from opposite end/bottom of drop tube. If a bullet hangs up during any of this force it the rest of the way thru with a screwdriver/punch/cleaning rod/T handle allen key. 

That seemed to help mine a lot. But I loaded only 1krd and then decided to liquidate my 62gr in favor of loading 69s and 77s which I still havent found time to do. 

I also used some high grit sandpaper wrapped around a dowel in a drill and sanded the inside of the tube. I suspect on the 223 dropper there is not nearly as much clearance between the bullet and wall of the tube like on a 9mm/40/45 drop tube. When the holes are drilled for the bearings it leaves a protrusion inside of the tube. OR as my buddy explained to me his issue was that the inner drop tube is actually a separate piece that is pressed together and if it's not fully seated bullets will hang on the "shelf" inside of the drop tube. I never could see anything like that in my drop tube. But DAA has made rolling changes to the drop tube I know for a fact and that could have been one of them. The upside down bullet drop trick was actually his fix that he shared with me. 

I'll check into it. I examined mine pretty closely and don't THINK that's my issue but I'll look it over again. When I lift up the drop tube manually to empty it, the bullets sail into my hand.