Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It's a chest rig with mag pouches allowed in Rifle division (IPSC)

ard212

Basically that, because of local gun laws, the only semi auto rifle with a detacheable magazine that I was able to get is a FN FNAR, it uses propietary magazines, so, most mag pouches either don't work or don't provide a level of retention that I like, I'm planning on buying a Blue Force Ten Speed 308 Chest Rig (Link) and was wondering, since I normally shoot PCC, if it was OK for magazines to be carried that way, and for reloads to come from, well, the chest, from what I've been able to research, it seems it would be, but I would ratter be sure before I spend 100+ dollars in product + shipping/customs, just to end up with something I cannot use.

Thanks and I really hope I'm not making a really REALLY dumb question.

IPSC Handgun rules require spare ammo be carried in holders/pouches worn at the waisted level.  However, the Rifle rules only state the following:

5.2.4. Ammunition  and  speed  loaders  must  be  carried  or  worn  on  the  competitor  or  mounted  to  the  rifle  in  safely designed  pouches,  pockets  or  other  suitable  retention  devices,  unless  otherwise  specified  in  the  written  stage briefing. 

Hence, I would say you're probably good to go.  However, I'm certified as an IROA RM in HG ... I have limited experience with the Rifle rules.  I recommend you double check the above with a senior IROA official from your home (or nearby) region who has more hands-on experience with the IPSC Rifle rules that do I.

3 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

IPSC Handgun rules require spare ammo be carried in holders/pouches worn at the waisted level.  However, the Rifle rules only state the following:

5.2.4. Ammunition  and  speed  loaders  must  be  carried  or  worn  on  the  competitor  or  mounted  to  the  rifle  in  safely designed  pouches,  pockets  or  other  suitable  retention  devices,  unless  otherwise  specified  in  the  written  stage briefing. 

Hence, I would say you're probably good to go.  However, I'm certified as an IROA RM in HG ... I have limited experience with the Rifle rules.  I recommend you double check the above with a senior IROA official from your home (or nearby) region who has more hands-on experience with the IPSC Rifle rules that do I.

Yeah, that's exactly what I saw, there's a rifle match in a few weeks, gonna ask there.

Still open to more info if anyone has it.

5.2.4 Ammunition and speed loaders must be carried or worn on the competitor or mounted to the rifle in safely designed pouches, pockets or other suitable retention devices, unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing.  

12 Restriction on position of pouches and magazine retention devices and other equipment No

9 minutes ago, terrydoc said:

5.2.4 Ammunition and speed loaders must be carried or worn on the competitor or mounted to the rifle in safely designed pouches, pockets or other suitable retention devices, unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing.  

12 Restriction on position of pouches and magazine retention devices and other equipment No

Thank you very much !

2 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

Thanks Terry ... I should have thought to look in the appendices!

ard212 ... You're good to go!  (Terry is definitely better versed on this topic than I am!)

Great ! Yeah, I always come here when I haver a question because there are a lot of people who really know about this.

15 minutes ago, terrydoc said:

Out of curiosity, wherein the rules did 12 come from?

26 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

Chuck

Either way, I see nothing in the IPSC rifle rules that would prohibit what the OP inquired about.

That was what I thought also. The handgun rules had restrictions as did the shotgun anti-suicide bomber rules. Rifle had none!