Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where To Start, Again?

AzShooter

I've having trouble hitting the target, even the easy ones in Steel Challenge and just shooting an 8 inch C-N-C target at 15 yards.  I've had a few health problems these past few years but this is ridiculous.

I've won many State Championships in Pistol Shooting and Archery so I know what I think I'm supposed to be doing but I guess it's faded from my memory.  I think my aiming is good, after all from a rest I can still shoot sub 1 inch groups from my pistols but when I'm standing I'm missing like a beginner shooter.  Heck, even the beginner shooters are doing better than me when I lend them my guns.

I've tried both dots and iron sights but my misses are all around the target.  I'm thinking it's concentration, otherwise my misses should be in the same general areas.

Sunday I plan to film myself but if you were having problems what area would you work on first?  

Parkinson's isn't helping much but it's under some control.  I do have trouble standing for any given amount of time but I should be able to handle 10 second of standing before the shaking gets me going too bad. 

It's frustrating when I have a good stage going only to keep missing the stop plate while focusing on front sight and missing all around the target.

Any suggestions are welcome.

• 2 months later...

AZs:

Tough one to say the least.  

I have shot with guys who have Parkinsons and it is really amazing how well they can perform.  You wouldn't know they had the disease from their performance.  Makes you think about it sometimes.  They have developed a method and way of thinking that allows them to overcome their physical problems.  Never asked them though. 

If you want kind of a prioritized list of things to perfect, here is one you can probably use to come up with your own listing.

1.  Bring the sights to your eyes smoothly, consistently, and rapidly.

2.  Ensure sufficient sight picture for success.  

3.  Pull the trigger without moving the pistol.  

Obviously if you have a zero then something is wrong somewhere in this list of stuff.  I would say that most of it is probably trigger pull and that may be caused by the stress of seeing the pistol (sights) moving due to your Parkinsons followed by the thought that "I got to get the shot off before this gets worse!" and doing something pretty radical when you finally get to the trigger pull.  Stuff like that can be fixed through a combination of realistic goals setting, mental skills techniques and some dry and live fire.

Take a look at my listing and come up with your own that more suits you.  Look at that list carefully and prioritize.  From the priorities you will need to come up with some simple but quantifiable goals.  SMART Goals is the rage today I think but do make them realistic and achievable.  Quantify what you can.

Once you have done that then maybe post them for general comment or you can send them to me back channel.   Can't really offer anything without your input.  Can't guarantee success either but it is better than repeating failure.

GG66