Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thin Plastic L-shaped Probe for checking gas block alignment

Frankly

Been looking for the right kind of stiff plastic "wire" that could do a near 90º bend with heat. If it were 5-8" long you could insert it into your barrel from the muzzle and poke the L-shaped tip up into the gas block (before mounting gas tube!). This would be a solid visual check that your gas block is aligned so you can mark position, punch for dimpling, etc. 

I know we all have work arounds and things like the SLR Rifleworks jigs for aligning our gas blocks but I like "seeing" to be sure. Plus it's simple and works on any diameter barrel. 

Wondering if there is an existing automotive or tech product that might be similar? Or a lead to where some could buy a couple feet of stiff plastic rod that is still bendable and small enough to fit most gas holes? 

I doubt there'd be enough profit to make them as a mass product but maybe some plasticy tool place like Real Avid already did this? 

At the very least they'd be good for scratching your leg inside a cast or maybe for probing some yucky drain pipe 😜

6 hours ago, Southpaw said:

That's pretty cool. Even better is the comment in the reviews where the guy found a strand of uncooked spaghetti worked even better! Thank you!

On 8/9/2021 at 5:51 PM, Frankly said:

Been looking for the right kind of stiff plastic "wire" that could do a near 90º bend with heat. If it were 5-8" long you could insert it into your barrel from the muzzle and poke the L-shaped tip up into the gas block (before mounting gas tube!). This would be a solid visual check that your gas block is aligned so you can mark position, punch for dimpling, etc. 

I know we all have work arounds and things like the SLR Rifleworks jigs for aligning our gas blocks but I like "seeing" to be sure. Plus it's simple and works on any diameter barrel. 

Wondering if there is an existing automotive or tech product that might be similar? Or a lead to where some could buy a couple feet of stiff plastic rod that is still bendable and small enough to fit most gas holes? 

I doubt there'd be enough profit to make them as a mass product but maybe some plasticy tool place like Real Avid already did this? 

At the very least they'd be good for scratching your leg inside a cast or maybe for probing some yucky drain pipe 😜

A few bucks but will provide you hours of entertainment

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081T1DN1P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

• 1 month later...
On 8/10/2021 at 12:04 AM, Frankly said:

That's pretty cool. Even better is the comment in the reviews where the guy found a strand of uncooked spaghetti worked even better! Thank you!

That's easy enough, but 1 and done... I'll pass.   In his 2nd method the problem could be the distance from the gas shoulder on the barrel can be off (too far or too short) depending on gb variations.   I use a bore scope too check alignment.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/gas-system-tools/gas-block-genie-ar-15-gas-block-alignment-tool-prod124593.aspx

I used this little plastic device and a sharpie to locate & mark the barrel for the exact alignment.  It will also allow you to indicate on the barrel how far should the gas block be inserted for those barrels made for front sight tower.  Watch the imbedded video on Brownells product page for clarity on how to use it.