Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

size for factory r8 strain screw?

Guitarmageddon

I've been doing the set screw thing in on my r8 main spring after doing trigger work. However, I'd like to try out getting a few stock strain screws and filing to perfect fit for Desired spring tension.

I bought one from Midway but after receiving it and actually reading the packaging of what I ordered, it was too short.

Which main spring screw is needed for the 327 r8? Is it a standard length for all n frames?

Round butt and square butt screws are not the same. The square butt should be .605 overall length (oal) and .480 under the head. The round butt should be .505 oal and .380 under the head. How straight or bent the mainspring is will also affect the tension on the hammer.

1 hour ago, Toolguy said:

Round butt and square butt screws are not the same. The square butt should be .605 overall length (oal) and .480 under the head. The round butt should be .505 oal and .380 under the head. How straight or bent the mainspring is will also affect the tension on the hammer.

So the stock one I measured is about 507 with about 403-405 under the head. It's also stainless and not blued.

My exact model is not listed but I'm going to assume after reading one of the reviews that this should be the one to work?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100449340?pid=651695

Mine

QKY5uWR.jpg

Edited by Guitarmageddon

16 hours ago, Guitarmageddon said:

Which main spring screw is needed for the 327 r8? Is it a standard length for all n frames?

It should be.  Make sure it's for a round butt N frame.  Strain screw lengths are different between round and square butts

Edited by SGT_Schultz

3 hours ago, Toolguy said:

I had no idea they were different. This is awesome info!

3 hours ago, Toolguy said:

Well, to be fair, you don't need to know this when shooting a Chiappa Rhino. Now if I only knew where to find some cheap used .40 moonclips...

Drop me a PM - I can help with that ;) .

And I now own not one but TWO whole N-frames! So that's... progress?

8 hours ago, Toolguy said:

I knew they're different lengths, never realized it was the round butt vs square butt.

I'd get the longer square butt and whittle it down to what you need!  

I inadvertently did that very thing.  I ordered some for my M29 and they all got thrown in a bottle together, the only difference was the length.