Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3N38 vs #7 Open loading

Squirrel45

Hi, 

I Know that this has been kicked around multiple times but the last archived post I can find date back 10 to 20 years ago. I am currently running #7 w 115g in my open blaster. Is there a reason I would find 3N38 a major difference or significantly better? I see in the uspsa polls that 3N38 is the most used powder and #7 isn't even on the list 😕

Thanks! 

Squirrel

Personally loaded to the same PF I can't tell a difference in a few open guns. 3N38 is a LOT cleaner but its also more $ per pound so for me I would rather clean the gun more often. If you can find it, pick up a pound and load some up. Do a blind test and see what you think. You may like the 3n38 better?  

3 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

Hi, 

I Know that this has been kicked around multiple times but the last archived post I can find date back 10 to 20 years ago. I am currently running #7 w 115g in my open blaster. Is there a reason I would find 3N38 a major difference or significantly better? I see in the uspsa polls that 3N38 is the most used powder and #7 isn't even on the list 😕

Thanks! 

Squirrel

No significant or major difference

I’ve loaded both for my major loads. 9.6gr of AA7 and 8.6-8.8gr of 3n38 with a 124 JHP @ 1.160”. I’ve shot more AA7 and I prefer it to 3n38 mostly

because it is cheaper and a lot easier to load. 3n38 is cleaner but AA7 has not caused any issues with my gun. 

As far as feel goes between the 2 loads I would say it is dependent on the gun and comp for me. I have 2 BULs - a Bullesteros with a steel grip and 2 popple holes and a SAS 2 UR with a polymer grip and no holes. AA7 feels the same out of both of them, but I will say 3n38 runs the Bullesteros a little flatter from some video I have reviewed of shooting both. On the other hand, 3n38 feels like it does not run the comp very well on the SAS2 UR. Feels like there is a lot more "push" then there should be. I am guessing it has something to do with the amount of gas that is being produced and the different comps. Is it to the point where I would change my load from AA7 to 3n38? Nope.

3n38 also seems to heat the gun up more than AA7 does. 

Edited by pealandco

For 38sc I would use 3N38 because it fills the case more.  For 9 major I cannot fit enough 3N38 in the case to make major with a 115 and still seat the bullet.  3N38 does not compress well and if compressed it tends to grow in OAL as it sits.  AAA7 and SWMP are very compressible.  AA7 is slower than 3N38 and generates more gas.  I use the 3N38 I have for Open minor loads for SCSA.

Just now, pealandco said:

@zztI've seen conflicting burn charts on whether AA7 is slower than 3N38 or vice versa. Few examples...

I don't pay any attention to burn rate charts.  The only one that is even close to accurate is VV's, and even so there are major problems.  If it takes more of one powder to reach a velocity than another, that powder is slower.  My major load is 10.2gr AA7/SWMP under a 115 for 169PF.  It takes 9.4-9.5gr 3N38 to do the same, assuming you can chrono it before it grows past 1.161" OAL.