Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major reloading issues NEED HELP!

Reloader98

31 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

Have you checked your powder charge on different scales? 

You know, I think I’ve just been doing the seating depth all wrong, I’m gonna make some different loads, at about 1.155 or longer and go from their. I’ve been loading these rounds at 1.060 and 1.070, I was going off the seating depth listed for regular JHP bullets listed in the Hornady loading manual, and other forums with the same issue. 

I think I’m just WAY off on seating depth, seating way to deep, causing a pressure spike, thus blowing out primers. I’m gonna have to pull some bullets and reload them at a higher length to remedy this issue. Or just load some new ones all together without pulling bullets. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Reloader98 said:

What do you think Sarge, 124 gr Montana gold JHP bullets loaded to 1.060, or 1.070, make sense, or way to short?

Pretty short in my experience . I load those at 1.165

6 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Pretty short in my experience . I load those at 1.165

Sounds like that’s my mistake I’m making, screwed up the COAL. Well I think that has solved it. I’ll make a new load and go from there 

AGAIN      STOP!!!!!

You are over pressure!      Multiple cases are blowing primers. Different brands not just Starline cases are blowing primers.

@1.080 you could possibly make major as low as 5.5 gr.  DO NOT load another round . Again have you checked your scale?

I be leave a couple people have offered to come to you to help. Make that happen. If you continue on the path you are going people will start calling you Lefty or One Eye.

3 hours ago, AHI said:

AGAIN      STOP!!!!!

You are over pressure!      Multiple cases are blowing primers. Different brands not just Starline cases are blowing primers.

@1.080 you could possibly make major as low as 5.5 gr.  DO NOT load another round . Again have you checked your scale?

I be leave a couple people have offered to come to you to help. Make that happen. If you continue on the path you are going people will start calling you Lefty or One Eye.

Offering my help again, Ruther Glen is not that far away from you.

A friend and I both have JL Hardy 9mm full size open guns and we both load a coal at 1.165 using MG 124gr jhp and HS-6.  if your ammo is at 1.060-1.070 that is way short. try loading longer as others have said.

Hello everyone, and thank you glock17open, I’m not shooting any more of the ammo previously loaded, and will pull the bullets, if not just throw them away if it’s dangerous, as I don’t want to be called lefty or one eye. 
I MADE A ROOKIE MISTAKE, I have fixed the issue, changed overall length to 1.155. They were all plunk tested and passed. 

I would like to say I screwed up and am lucky to have the help of everyone in this forum and would like to thank everyone for their help and wisdom
the NEW loads, loaded at 1.155 will be tested, as they should be FAR safer. This is the load that the previous owner of this gun used, I guess I just misread the COAL in the text, AGAIN, MY BAD GUYS (not yelling, just emphasizing). 

should I pull bullets to save powder and projectiles or just dispose of the ammo safely? 

again, big thanks to everyone’s help, and I have, from what I can tell so far, figured out the issue. 

2 minutes ago, Reloader98 said:

Hello everyone, and thank you glock17open, I’m not shooting any more of the ammo previously loaded, and will pull the bullets, if not just throw them away if it’s dangerous, as I don’t want to be called lefty or one eye. 
I MADE A ROOKIE MISTAKE, I have fixed the issue, changed overall length to 1.155. They were all plunk tested and passed. 

I would like to say I screwed up and am lucky to have the help of everyone in this forum and would like to thank everyone for their help and wisdom
the NEW loads, loaded at 1.155 will be tested, as they should be FAR safer. This is the load that the previous owner of this gun used, I guess I just misread the COAL in the text, AGAIN, MY BAD GUYS (not yelling, just emphasizing). 

should I pull bullets to save powder and projectiles or just dispose of the ammo safely? 

again, big thanks to everyone’s help, and I have, from what I can tell so far, figured out the issue. 

You can put them in a hammer puller and whack it a few times and measure oal. You can make them grow to pretty close desired oal with a little practice.

30 minutes ago, Sarge said:

You can put them in a hammer puller and whack it a few times and measure oal. You can make them grow to pretty close desired oal with a little practice.

You know, I have a hammer puller, I never thought about doing that, I’m gonna try it, very good point sir. 
thanks 

Anthony

On 8/4/2021 at 3:05 PM, Reloader98 said:

Hello everyone, I got my first open gun a couple days ago, a JL Hardy shorty 4.25” KKM barrel with comp and two popple holes. It came with 1 MBX 170mm  magazine (used in load testing) and two 140 STI mags and 1 170 STI mag. 
I’m having two issues. 
1. primers popping out of cases and jamming the gun

2. Rounds diving up into the barrel and jamming (could be the MBX mag, unsure) 

loads tested: 

- unfired, new, starling cases for both powder weights. 

-montana gold 124gr JHP

-Autocomp powder

-CCI small pistol primer

-COAL: 1.160

first load: 

6.8 gr autocomp

FPS: ranges between 1375-1400 (averaged about 1386) 

second load: 

6.9 gr autocomp

FPS: ranged between 1390-1419  (averaged around 1397)

The gun worked somewhat well, groups were great, but the issue was the primers popping out, like listed in the pic below. 

question: 

what can I do to remedy this, am I using to much powder? 
the rounds jamming into the upper left of the barrel could be the MBX mag, but I’m more worried about the primers blowing out. 

what’s y’all’s take on what I should do?

link to photos of spent brass. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/239MZAJfC1vFcKyA7

Looks to me like you may be getting some bullet setback which would increase the pressure. As was suggested, push a loaded round hard against the edge of your bench and see if the OAL shrinks. As was also stated 6.8 of WAC is fairly light. Most I know of are 7.2+.

10 hours ago, vegaspete61 said:

Looks to me like you may be getting some bullet setback which would increase the pressure. As was suggested, push a loaded round hard against the edge of your bench and see if the OAL shrinks. As was also stated 6.8 of WAC is fairly light. Most I know of are 7.2+.

I see where your coming from vegaspete61. 
I already kind of figured out the issue. I was loading them at 1.060 instead of 1.160. Very deep and causing a pressure spike. But the issue is fixed now, thanks for the input though. 

On 8/5/2021 at 6:21 PM, Reloader98 said:

Update two: 

the seating depth is now 1.070” instead of 1.060.

That’s a heck of a difference from the original post where you said your OAL was 1.16” 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Dirty_J said:

That’s a heck of a difference from the original post where you said your OAL was 1.16” 🤣🤣🤣

Yes sir, it seems that I had made a typo, which made everything FAR more confusing. A typo that made the info sound right? A weird typo to make lol 

On 8/4/2021 at 3:05 PM, Reloader98 said:

Hello everyone, I got my first open gun a couple days ago, a JL Hardy shorty 4.25” KKM barrel with comp and two popple holes. It came with 1 MBX 170mm  magazine (used in load testing) and two 140 STI mags and 1 170 STI mag. 
I’m having two issues. 
1. primers popping out of cases and jamming the gun

2. Rounds diving up into the barrel and jamming (could be the MBX mag, unsure) 

loads tested: 

- unfired, new, starling cases for both powder weights. 

-montana gold 124gr JHP

-Autocomp powder

-CCI small pistol primer

-COAL: 1.160

first load: 

6.8 gr autocomp

FPS: ranges between 1375-1400 (averaged about 1386) 

second load: 

6.9 gr autocomp

FPS: ranged between 1390-1419  (averaged around 1397)

The gun worked somewhat well, groups were great, but the issue was the primers popping out, like listed in the pic below. 

question: 

what can I do to remedy this, am I using to much powder? 
the rounds jamming into the upper left of the barrel could be the MBX mag, but I’m more worried about the primers blowing out. 

what’s y’all’s take on what I should do?

link to photos of spent brass. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/239MZAJfC1vFcKyA7

Incorrect COAL in OP, previous seating depth was not 1.160, it was 1.060. WHAT A SURPRISE, I’ve now made my load 1.160 as that is a correct and reasonable seating depth for this load. 

issue has been resolved, thanks everyone! Mods can close now