Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major reloading issues NEED HELP!

Reloader98

1 hour ago, Reloader98 said:

Thank you very much Glock17open, I don’t know if you’ve seen the pictures I linked earlier in the chat, but essentially, primers are popping out of the brand new star line cases, at 6.8 and 6.9 grain of autocomp, and I can’t seem to figure out why. 

I have changed the level of crimp, which from my reading, was tighter than it’s supposed to be, so I’ve basically taken away all crimp, besides what’s required to remove belling, about .378 and it was at about .375-.376, I’m at the range now, and I’m gonna test that ammo and see how it does. I made 20 rounds, so let’s see what happens! 
mill be leaving an update soon. 

I load on a Dillon 550, I have the lee factory crimp die in my Last stage.  That solved all the problems I used t have.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Glock17open said:

Yes I did see All you earlier post

Okay everyone, status update. 
the newly loaded ammo, loaded in new star line brass with almost no crimp at all, made no difference, still lots of primers popping out. 

and sadly, after measuring the primer pockets, which should be .1745 new and unused, we’re all about .175 and .1755, all brand new. 

after firing, the cases that had primers pop out, and the ones that didn’t, had primer pocket size of about .178-.179, I could drop a primer in with my fingers, after sizing that brass, the issue was still the same. 

I then tried some nickel plates FC brass, labeled +p+ On the base, I got it from a friend a while back, tried that with the same load, mostly primers did not fall out, except two, or of which had a loos primer pocket going in, so that’s understandable, but the same thing happened to the primer pockets, all way out of spec. 

I really don’t know what to do anymore 

Check to make sure your swager is set correctly as well and that it is not in some way increasing primer pocket size.  It should not, but it's worth a shot since everything else is not coming out right.  But oversized primer pockets sound like perhaps a manufacturing issue. 

re ck that your powder scale is set to grains. let's assume nothing is wrong with your brass .you are popping primers . For some reason you are way over pressure.

10 minutes ago, Robertwil18 said:

Check to make sure your swager is set correctly as well and that it is not in some way increasing primer pocket size.  It should not, but it's worth a shot since everything else is not coming out right.  But oversized primer pockets sound like perhaps a manufacturing issue. 

I have the Dillon xl650, it doesn’t have a swaging station, but the brass does seem big in the primer pockets after firing about .1757 on fired cases, sometimes .1759. 

I also tried FC nickel plated brass and had the same issue. 

Hello, I would pick up some range brass and reload it. Be a brass rat and collect some off the ground. I have had some Starline once fired that the primers would fall out of. I think it was from some over pressured 9mm open reloads. This was even after me running it through my Case Pro. I am wondering if Starline had a bad run of brass? Thanks, Eric

If you hold up a round to the breech face of the slide, is there a lot of room around the rim of the case?

I think you should contact Starline and tell them of the problem, maybe ask if you can send them a once-fired case and an un-fired one that they can check.

46 minutes ago, AHI said:

re ck that your powder scale is set to grains. let's assume nothing is wrong with your brass .you are popping primers . For some reason you are way over pressure.

this and or double check your powder charge is what you think it is, check the scale to another scale if possible if not check the scale with something of known weight preferably close to the charge weight. 

Update two: 

After talking to some people over the phone like a couple local gunsmiths with competition experience, it may be a mechanical issue. or I just need to tweak the load a little. Of course it could still be the brass, but after trying some nickel FC brass and some Speer brass, I’ve had no luck. 

so I’ve made the same original load with one minor change. 
the seating depth is now 1.070” instead of 1.060. Some are varying slightly in seating depth by maybe +\-  .001 -.003. 
hopefully this makes a difference. I plunk tested and measured all of these rounds before I’m going to shoot them. 

mill leave an update when I can shoot them next, probably tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, BritinUSA said:

…and weigh your bullets too, make sure they are 124grn and .355 and not .357

That would be a good idea, but I checked and their all .355, exactly what the box says. 

1.06 is very short for 9 major, most everyone loads to 1.15 or longer many in the 1.17+ region. 

this could be an issue

The shortest I have ever loaded major was 1.085 and that was a Montana Gold 125gr hollow point 357 sig bullet that is extremely blunt and at that length left the case capacity approximately equal to a everglades 124hp loaded at 1.15  

In the OP he said 1.16 so maybe its just a typo.

Have you done the bench press test yet?

When I first started loading long I'd get bullet setback unless my crimp was spot on. Too much crimp and I had setback. Too little and I had setback. 

My bullet feeder die was flaring the case deeper than the bullet would seat so there was no neck tension. 

40 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

When I first started loading long I'd get bullet setback unless my crimp was spot on. Too much crimp and I had setback. Too little and I had setback. 

THAT’S BECAUSE CRIMP DOES NOTHING TO PREVENT SETBACK IN A NON CANNALURED BULLET.

My bullet feeder die was flaring the case deeper than the bullet would seat so there was no neck tension. 

NECK TENSION HOLDS BULLETS IN PLACE. NOT CRIMP 

32 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Why are you yelling when we all agree?

I could get the crimp good enough so it didn't setback but the bullet feeder die was the source problem. 

The important thing is to check for setback. Ive never had primers pop out when shooting the gun.

How much clearance is there between your barrel hood and breachface?

Edited by dansedgli

32 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

I could get the crimp good enough so it didn't setback but the bullet feeder die was the source problem. 

The important thing is to check for setback. Ive never had primers pop out when shooting the gun.

Not yelling. I thought most used caps to distinguish a reply when mixed in with original text.

AND, like you I’ve never had primers pop out from firing either.

1 hour ago, dansedgli said:

In the OP he said 1.16 so maybe its just a typo.

Have you done the bench press test yet?

I did make a typo, thank you dansedlgi, but the COAL IS 1.070, some 1.069, now when I loaded a couple upwards of 1.078 and one of them, 1.082 they would not pass the plunk test, more specifically, they would not move freely in the chamber. 

I hope I’m not making some horrible newbie mistake but please tell me if I am. Lots of loads from other suggested around the range of 1.055, the Hornady manual for 9mm, for JHP bullets that is, not round nose bullets, is 1.060, I guess it heavily depends on the bullet type, but I’m using Montana gold 124gr JHP bullets. 

2 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

1.06 is very short for 9 major, most everyone loads to 1.15 or longer many in the 1.17+ region. 

this could be an issue

The shortest I have ever loaded major was 1.085 and that was a Montana Gold 125gr hollow point 357 sig bullet that is extremely blunt and at that length left the case capacity approximately equal to a everglades 124hp loaded at 1.15  

So I looked in a hornady loading manual, not sure if that’s helpful with this, but for their XTP bullet, a JHP very similar to the my Montana gold 124 JHP, it said 1.060, but typical round now bullets were around the range you were stating. Not sure if that will make a huge difference or not, but mine were not passing the plunk test, (if I’m doing it right) when I loaded then past 1.077 or 1.080. 

56 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

I did do the bench press test with no real issues. The only thing that happened was  the top of the bullet was lightly flattened, but no real change in oal. 

I have not measured the breschface to barrel hood, but the barrel is tightly fit all around inthe slide. 

33 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Not yelling. I thought most used caps to distinguish a reply when mixed in with original text.

AND, like you I’ve never had primers pop out from firing either.

What do you think Sarge, 124 gr Montana gold JHP bullets loaded to 1.060, or 1.070, make sense, or way to short?

I suggest the following;

1. take a new case, size it, do not insert a primer, do no put powder in it.
  2. back out your seating die a few turns.put in a bullet and lightly crimp it
  3. Drop it in the barrel, turn the barrel upside down and make sure it drops freely, it probably won’t the first few times through this
  4. Drop the bullet into the barrel again and try to rotate, it probably won’t
  5. Turn the seating die 1/8 turn clockwise
  6. reseat the bullet, even though crimped lightly you should be able to push it in a little.
  7. repeat steps 3-6 until the round drops in and out easily and can be rotated, this will be your max OAL

17 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

I suggest the following;

1. take a new case, size it, do not insert a primer, do no put powder in it.
  2. back out your seating die a few turns.put in a bullet and lightly crimp it
  3. Drop it in the barrel, turn the barrel upside down and make sure it drops freely, it probably won’t the first few times through this
  4. Drop the bullet into the barrel again and try to rotate, it probably won’t
  5. Turn the seating die 1/8 turn clockwise
  6. reseat the bullet, even though crimped lightly you should be able to push it in a little.
  7. repeat steps 3-6 until the round drops in and out easily and can be rotated, this will be your max OAL

I figured I was doing it right, my bullets would not drop out or move freely after being loaded to about 1.078 or 1.080 as stated earlier. 

thanks britinusa