Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig Romeo3 Max or Romeo3 XL ?

hkvp9

I have both.  I can send pics tonight.  Essentially the glass is the same height.  The Romeo 3 max is similar to the SRO in that the glass is almost a perfect circle.  The Romeo 3 XL is a square window more similar to a Delta Point.  While the XL is similar to the Delta point, I definitely prefer the Romeo 3 XL in that there is overall more glass surface area with the XL.  From the looks of it the XL is taller that the DPP.  I would need to check specs to verify that statement but it seems that way from a quick glance at the optics.

If you were to calculate the surface area of the glass of both optics I would think the XL has more overall surface area than the Max.

A quick observation in observing open shooters using the Romeo 3 Optics on their guns is it seems like most of them are running the XL.  Not sure the reason.  

I honestly do not think it matters,, for me both have been solid optics.  

Hello, I would also look at the Alpha 3 as well. I really like the window shape over the XL or the Max. It also costs less and the 3 I have are holding up very well on Carry Optics and open pistols. Of the two Sig optics I like the XL more even thou I am an old user of C-More slide rides. The round glass makes finding the dot faster but I am finding it does not matter as much as I thought. The vertical height on the Alpha 3 really is helpful for vertical tracking for me on my carry optics pistols. Another option to look at is the Holosun 510C with it's extra large window. Remove the shield and it weights the same as a C-More slide ride in aluminum. Thanks, Eric

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

Are these 2 sights being used mostly for carry optics or open?  Are they as durable as the SRO?  I may have to look into these a bit more. 

I would say they are as predominant as SROs in the area I shoot in.  I do not think they are any less durable than an SRO.  

I switched to the Romeo optics because you do not get a double dot when pointing the optic in the sun which can be an issue at certain ranges early in the morning or later parts of the match in the spring and fall when the sun is lower.  I love my SRO and the have migrated to my rifles as offset optics but the sun issue is something I do not want to deal with at pistol matches.  

As far as longevity of the optic, meaning the optic fails for whatever reason the SRO and Romeo seem to be about the same, from observation and reading in forums.  Luck of the draw it seems.  My first XL only had 500 rounds on it before I could not zero the optic correctly to make POI (point of impact) meet POA (point of aim).  I sent in for warranty are received a brand new one in less than three weeks and it has had zero issues for about 3000 rounds.  I have two others, one with 1500 rounds and another with 500  with zero issues.  I have had zero issues with any of my SROs, but that double dot issue is a problem.

Edited by Boomstick303

Romeo 3 max does not have drain holes.  1st shot will blast any water on the lens out, and since the emitter is pointing down when holstered, there should not be a problem with it collecting there.  I put a cover on mine in between stages and never had an issue.

I’ve got the romeo max in my Bul open gun and I haven’t had to replace it yet. I’ve got an sro on my carry Optics gun and I tend to like the dot on the sig better but the RMR/sro/Holosun footprint made it an easy choice for carry optics. 

10 hours ago, StefVanHauwe said:

I recently switched from C-More RTS2 to the Sig Romeo 3 XL (6MOA) on my 3 open guns. Size of window, clarity and levels of brightness are better.

What moa was your rts2?

I have broken two Romeo 3 XLs on my Czechmates. First one was around 5k rounds in and vertical zero would start to shift within 50 rounds of zeroing, second was around 2.5k rounds and the horizontal adjustment mechanism broke/detached and I literally could not zero it (this was confirmed by Sig). They had new ones back to me within a week both times. I love the optic itself but if either of these replacements break I’ll be switching. 

Edited by regor

I have had both the Max and XL on open guns. The Max would be the one most would prefer if coming from an RTS2. There is a video discussion somewhere that Max uses to explain how the round shape is most natural to the eye, etc. I do like the Max but have found that depending on the load and gun the dot may stay in the glass 100% with the XL more than the Max. The little bit of extra width is nice. Most of my guns (CO and Open) have the 8 MOA FTP Alpha 3 on them and I would say it is more like the XL. 

On 8/8/2021 at 2:37 PM, regor said:

I have broken two Romeo 3 XLs on my Czechmates. First one was around 5k rounds in and vertical zero would start to shift within 50 rounds of zeroing, second was around 2.5k rounds and the horizontal adjustment mechanism broke/detached and I literally could not zero it (this was confirmed by Sig). They had new ones back to me within a week both times. I love the optic itself but if either of these replacements break I’ll be switching. 

Give the FTP Alpha 3 a try if you do end up switching.